Acoustat Answer Man is here - Page 176 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2017, 12:12 PM   #1751
diyAudio Member

Hi

I am looking for schematics of the Spectra 44 interface. Are they available?
Old 1st May 2017, 04:32 PM   #1752
diyAudio Member

Spectra 4400 schematics were posted a few pages back:
Acoustat-Answer-Man-here-Post#1610

AAM can confirm, but I believe the circuit for the Spectra 44 and 4400 are identical.
Old 4th May 2017, 12:39 PM   #1753
diyAudio Member

Default Acoustat Spectra 44 sensitivity

Hi Can anyone help with the sensitivity of these panels? I need to better match my surround speakers (ones I have are much more sensitive so can get volume balance correct at say high output, but then they are too loud at low volumes.
Old 4th May 2017, 07:02 PM   #1754
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolserst View Post
Spectra 4400 schematics were posted a few pages back:
Acoustat-Answer-Man-here-Post#1610

AAM can confirm, but I believe the circuit for the Spectra 44 and 4400 are identical.
Yes, the schematic shown serves the Spectra 44/4400/66/6600. Only the bass transformer taps change depending on whether it's a 4-panel or 6-panel system, as described in the schematic's notes.
Old 4th May 2017, 07:12 PM   #1755
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetennant View Post
Hi Can anyone help with the sensitivity of these panels? I need to better match my surround speakers (ones I have are much more sensitive so can get volume balance correct at say high output, but then they are too loud at low volumes.
This is no surprise at all, as most conventional speakers are more sensitive than ESL's. And if Acoustat (or any other ESL manufacturer) could have made their speakers more efficient, they certainly would have. Now that being said, it is possible to boost the sensitivity a little bit by increasing the bias voltage, but 1) I am not an advocate of doing so; and 2) unless you have the proper high voltage measuring equipment, it is best left alone.

I know very little about surround sound systems (being a two-channel-only guy), but I would imagine the associated processor/amplifiers would have some means of adjusting the level between front/sides/rear, in the anticipation that most users won't have perfectly matched speakers in those positions, and would therefore need some way to compensate for speakers of different efficiencies.
Old 3rd June 2017, 02:08 AM   #1756
Linus7 is offline Linus7  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and a proud new owner of a pair of Acoustat Model 3's. Best sounding speakers I've ever heard. I searched for a pair that was in mint condition for a few years. Once they were delivered I hooked them up and immediately sold my Martin Logan Motion 40's (which were also great speakers). Thank you AAM for creating this thread!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 5th June 2017, 05:30 PM   #1757
HankF is offline HankF  United States
diyAudio Member

Congrats, Linus7. I bought a pair of Model 3's a couple years ago and have bought new resistors and caps and diodes and will upgrade the interfaces - will also replace the corroded Monster wire in the interfaces.
Old 5th June 2017, 05:44 PM   #1758
diyAudio Member

Has anyone ever used a Berning amp on Acoustats?
Old 5th June 2017, 06:07 PM   #1759
Linus7 is offline Linus7  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you HankF

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankF View Post
Congrats, Linus7. I bought a pair of Model 3's a couple years ago and have bought new resistors and caps and diodes and will upgrade the interfaces - will also replace the corroded Monster wire in the interfaces.
Old 6th June 2017, 03:51 AM   #1760
diyAudio Member

Howdy; My name is Brad and I am not an audiophile. I spent much time in the early seventies hanging out in Stereo shops around Ann Arbor Mi.
I'm just now able to buy some of the things I could only dream of back then.
I've had the same pair of Infinity Qb's since 1976.
I am a Pink Floyd addict. That and big band. Buddy Rich , Gene Krupa ,etc make me happy.
Anyhow, this pair of speakers is fairly close to me. ( 150 miles ) which is next door around here.
I'd appreciate it if AAM or other experts could take a quick look & advise if they look decent & if with the right amp/source do a good job with my music?
Would be my first electrostats.
But I did enjoy the 'Wall of Sound' demos back in 73!

Thank you, Brad
Acoustat Sprectra II | eBay

Hide this!Advertise here!