Acoustat Answer Man is here - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2011, 09:21 PM   #131
diyAudio Member

Audiophiles around me using Acoustat's and their amplifiers.

Chord with 1+1s
Krell with Spectra 6600s
Plinius with Spectra 6600s
Coda with Spectra 4400s
Belles with model 6s
Antique Sound Labs with 2+2s
Linar with model 3s
Passlabs with model 4s
Classe with Spectra 22s
Bedini with 2+2s
Old 12th November 2011, 12:38 AM   #132
Atom666 is offline Atom666  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Andy
Do you know if it is possible to drive the Spectra panels with a Servo Charge amplifier? Specifically as I mentioned earlier in this thread using four panels/side horizontally?
Thanks
Andrew
Old 12th November 2011, 01:35 AM   #133
diyAudio Member

Hi Andy

I am after 14 of the small banana type plugs (not sure what they are called) that attach the wires from the panels to the Spectra interface. I have tried here locally with no luck. Can you point me in the right direction please?
Many thanks.

Steve.
Old 12th November 2011, 12:35 PM   #134
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom666 View Post
Hi Andy
Do you know if it is possible to drive the Spectra panels with a Servo Charge amplifier? Specifically as I mentioned earlier in this thread using four panels/side horizontally?
Thanks
Andrew
The simple answer is yes, but not without a lot of work. Because the servocharge was designed to drive a full-range/full area speaker, its equalization would be wrong for a Spectra design that drives only a small portion of the speaker full range. I imagine this could be done, but it would require a thorough understanding of how the low level equalization works in the amplifier, and no doubt a lot of listening-n'-tweaking before you got the values correct.

Secondly, an external high-voltage resistor network would be required to drive the less-than-full range sectors, as is done in the normal Spectra transformer interface.

Personally, I'm thinking that such an arrangement, even if you got it to work reasonably well, would be inferior to using the Spectra transformer interfaces. But don't let that stop you from having fun if that's what it's all about! Just be careful - the servocharge amp contains LETHAL voltages with sufficient current available to knock you on your butt (and maybe not get up).
Old 12th November 2011, 12:51 PM   #135
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electroresearch View Post
Hi Andy

I am after 14 of the small banana type plugs (not sure what they are called) that attach the wires from the panels to the Spectra interface. I have tried here locally with no luck. Can you point me in the right direction please?
Many thanks.

Steve.
The pin-plug you are looking for is an Abbatron HH Smith #108. Here's one possible source, but I'm sure there are other distributors as well:
ABBATRON HH SMITH|108|Connector | Newark.com Products
Old 12th November 2011, 02:18 PM   #136
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom666 View Post
Hi Andy
Thanks
Andrew
Yes it is possible the best guy to tell you how would be Mr, Andy Szabo on this site ( Acoustat ) he is one of the original members of Acoustat U.S.A. i hope this can help you.

Last edited by MrAcoustat; 12th November 2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12th November 2011, 03:17 PM   #137
bpape is offline bpape  United States
diyAudio Member

I currently have a pair of Monitor 4's using the ServoCharge amps fully rebuilt/modded by Mike Savuto of Analog Associates. Due to space constraints in a new arrangement, I'm looking to convert them to 1+1's or maybe 2+2's.

What if anything is required electrically if I would go with 1+1's and having only 2 panels as opposed to 4?

Thanks in advance.

Bryan
Old 13th November 2011, 07:10 AM   #138
noelm is offline noelm  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoustatAnswerMan View Post
The pin-plug you are looking for is an Abbatron HH Smith #108. Here's one possible source, but I'm sure there are other distributors as well:
ABBATRON HH SMITH|108|Connector | Newark.com Products
Hi, Andy.

The pin connector is missing from the end of the bundle of wires that plug into the center jack of the high voltage board on one of my MK-121C interfaces. These are the wires that come from the diaphragm of an Acoustat 1+1. Would this Abbatron 108 pin be a good replacement for the missing connector?

Noel
Old 13th November 2011, 07:20 AM   #139
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelm View Post
Hi, Andy.

The pin connector is missing from the end of the bundle of wires that plug into the center jack of the high voltage board on one of my MK-121C interfaces. These are the wires that come from the diaphragm of an Acoustat 1+1. Would this Abbatron 108 pin be a good replacement for the missing connector?

Noel
Yes that is the pin connector that you need that pin is like an ice cream cone the wires go inside one end with solder and the other goes in the center jack. André
Old 13th November 2011, 07:56 AM   #140
noelm is offline noelm  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAcoustat View Post
Yes that is the pin connector that you need that pin is like an ice cream cone the wires go inside one end with solder and the other goes in the center jack. André
Thanks, Andre. I will order the Abbatron 108 pin.
Noel

Hide this!Advertise here!