Acoustat Answer Man is here - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2011, 03:12 AM   #111
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer5 View Post
I wouldn't think that 47 inch height panel gets you much advantage than the 45 inch panel that Acoustat has. I'd try something that can stack with a frame and still be 2 or 3 inches off the 8 foot ceiling.
There is a big advantage of being the closest possible to the ceiling , NO DUST ON TOP.
Old 17th March 2011, 03:29 AM   #112
diyAudio Member

I think that remains to be seen Andre!LOL
Rub a finger across the top of one of your doors. Though I wouldn't presume you do less dusting than me. I qualify as ultra lazy in that department. I see you have a newer frame that does not have finished wood showing on the side rails but has a sock covering the whole "monolith". Am I seeing that correct in the pics?
Old 17th March 2011, 03:51 AM   #113
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer5 View Post
I think that remains to be seen Andre!LOL
Rub a finger across the top of one of your doors. Though I wouldn't presume you do less dusting than me. I qualify as ultra lazy in that department. I see you have a newer frame that does not have finished wood showing on the side rails but has a sock covering the whole "monolith". Am I seeing that correct in the pics?
Yes you're right it's a 2x3 steel frame covered with wood then a black sock and metal plate on top screwed in wood and metal base covered with wood

Acoustat 1+1 under construction | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mracoustat/5506851775/

Last edited by MrAcoustat; 17th March 2011 at 03:53 AM.
Old 17th March 2011, 04:03 AM   #114
diyAudio Member

All is understood.

The reason I ask is that my roll of .25mil mylar is only 12.5" wide.
Since I don't have a whole lot of it I wish to not waste any of it by building narrower panels as I already have done that.

Subs are not going to be any kind of issue at all as I have plenty.
I will try both dipole and an electronicly assisted ported cabinet using my 8" subs.

Here is my current stack, behind it is another two 10" cabinet facing the corner.
There is a stack on each side of the room.
The top boxs are the only speakers handling the high end and the imaging is quite smeared as excepcted.

But it is extremely loud when cranked up!

The ESL's I have made are not currently hooked up and will only be used as nearfield monitors on my desk and in front of me at the mixer. jer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CURRENT STACK.jpg (76.5 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg 8 inch RADIOSHACK SUBWOOFERS.jpg (73.4 KB, 371 views)
Old 18th March 2011, 07:06 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldfryjr View Post
AcoustatAnswerman,
Were any wider panels other than 8" or 9" ever explored?

I am contemplating a 11.5" diagphram width by 47" long panel possibly segmented in 3 or 5 sections. jer
The width of the Acoustat panel was largely determined by the width of raw material that was used. One sheet of louver material (manufactured as a flourescent light diffuser) yielded two panel halves. Making the panel much wider than 9" would have yielded only one half-panel per sheet. Not a big consideration for DIYers who are making only a few panels, but for large-scale manufacturing, efficient utilization of material is a key factor.

I'm sure there is some practical limitation on how wide a panel can be, given the limits of diaphragm tension, etc. Maybe someone else can comment on their experiences in that regard?
Old 18th March 2011, 07:13 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAcoustat View Post
Yes you're right it's a 2x3 steel frame covered with wood then a black sock and metal plate on top screwed in wood and metal base covered with wood

Acoustat 1+1 Modified Jocelyn Jeanson | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Awesome photos of an awesome speaker frame! Thanks for sharing, and keep up the good work!
Old 18th March 2011, 07:35 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoustatAnswerMan View Post
Awesome photos of an awesome speaker frame! Thanks for sharing, and keep up the good work!
Thank's AcoustatAnswerMan, i'm just the owner my friend Jocelyn his the guy behind all the mods panels + frames + interfaces - you can see more pictures just google ( Flickr MrAcoustat Photostream ) for my photo gallery.
Old 18th March 2011, 09:40 PM   #118
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldfryjr View Post
AcoustatAnswerman,
Were any wider panels other than 8" or 9" ever explored?

I am contemplating a 11.5" diagphram width by 47" long panel possibly segmented in 3 or 5 sections. jer
I was thinking that if I ever get around to building new panels that I'd try going 47" high because that's the length they come in, requiring less cutting. I have vaulted ceilings so I'm not limited by 8' height. Not sure how performance would be affected by this, though.
Old 18th March 2011, 11:43 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

Very good, thank you for the info.

The material I use is common and comes in 2' by 4' piece's.

However when I devleoped my construction technique back in 2003 I was able to get the same material in 4' by '8 sheets aswell special ordered from a local plastic shop.

The only problem I have been trying to solve with a wider panel is a slight bowing and unperfect flatness which of course can be remieded with a frame and proper bracing.

I was thinking that maybe it had something to do with diagphram stablity and/or low frequence response.
Again ,thanks. jer

P.S. Yes 47" was chosen because of the reserve 1/2" perimeter to mount the diagprham frame.

If a suitable frame is built then one could make the diagphram high as they wish. jer
Old 31st May 2011, 12:46 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

Default Acoustat OTL Amp question

Hello,

I am trying to get some basic info on the OTL amp Acoustat made.

What were the output tubes they used (V1 thru V4)?

And is any other web-based info available?

THANKS

CHarles

Hide this!Advertise here!