plasma tweeters - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2003, 11:32 AM   #11
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Quote:
Originally posted by Timn8ter
Didn't he set his home town on fire once?
No he didn't. It was his lab in Colorado Springs while experimenting on wireless power transmission.
Old 18th November 2003, 05:26 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to NotInTheMafia
i think mouser.com ships to the UK but im not sure. I have a almost complete list of components for the mroject in my acount, i can send you a copy and it has all the mouser part numbers and such.
Old 21st November 2003, 08:09 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Any part numbers etc would be fantastic.. The tweeters will sit either side of the chimminy in my lounge. I plan to put 2 holes in the wall and run 2 lengths of ducting up the chimmily with 2 small pc case fans to provide some suction, the outlet of these holes will be about 8" from the discharge and i'm hoping this will be enough to remove some of the ozone. I remember hearing that ozone harshley attacks rubber! Imagin this means the rubber on my bass/mid drivers aswell as my credit cards and my gimp suit!
Old 21st November 2003, 08:30 AM   #14
7V is offline 7V  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

My father-in-law in Germany has had one of these for many years. It's similar to the 'Ionovac'.

For what it's worth, I think it sounds very sweet indeed. My father-in-law told me that the Ozone problem has been solved with this design but I'm no expert so can't really comment.

Worth a try.
Old 21st November 2003, 02:43 PM   #15
markp is offline markp  United States
diyAudio Member

The Hill 'Plasmotronic' comes to mind as the only commercially made plasma unit. He ended up using helium gas to avoid the ozone problem. Any time you are ionizing gases be very afraid!
Old 22nd November 2003, 08:48 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Just to point out, the plasma cutter in my workshop seems to be the same thing. you get an monster arc discharge then you blow compressed air through it and burn of the o2, this makes a flame up to about an inch thick and 3 inch long. i'd think this would make a huge amount of ozone but looking through the handbook only tells you to 'use in a ventilated area'! Intrestingly if it's runing and the big compressor or something starts up the power surge makes the flame change breifly and you get sound! (not music, but a noise none the less). Now if i made a pair could i just run them from the pre out on my amp and just remove the jumper bars to kill my speakers tweeter? does the design on the web allow you to ajust gain and xover?

Hide this!Advertise here!