hornloading / waveguiding electrostatics - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2010, 10:06 AM   #11
2008 is offline 2008  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug20 View Post
Just build a custom man cave and both parties are happy
thanks doug: perhaps the man cave needs to be horn loaded too.........
Old 24th November 2010, 05:10 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Finally, a simple hand diagramme for all.

1 was the initial experiment based just on testing if it was possible to hear some kind of diffraction effect

2 was the idea of the replacement upright structure (probably totally unwieldy in wood, but possible to make out of some kind of moldable material)

3 was the idea of the larger radius

4 was the idea of the more than 130 shape

5 was the initial curve i tried

6 was the second more acute shape

7a/b is just the diagramme of how i understand the speaker emits
based on some old audio asylum posts

yep...i know i don't have a future career as an artist....... :-(
Attached Files
File Type: pdf _1124180026_001.pdf (24.4 KB, 70 views)
Old 26th November 2010, 10:44 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008 View Post
Independently of the physics you've very helpfully described, I wonder then what I'm subjectively hearing then. I did a second listen yesterday with 'modified' curves (more bent, approaching 90) and the sound was again more dynamic, more punchy, with more bass.

I'll sketch some of the shape ideas which I referred to over the next couple of days.
Your description of the "curves" you added providing more dynamic and punchy bass makes me think that the main benefit you are hearing is from increasing the acoustic path length from front to back and delaying the onset of dipole cancellation to a lower frequency. This is exactly the purpose of the "wings" that Audiostatic sold.

If the DCI frequency response is at all like the ES-100 there is a dip in the bass response below 300 Hz that extends down to the diaphragm resonance. The dip is from dipole front-to-back cancellation for frequencies below where the wavelength is longer than the width of the panel + baffle. Audiostatic did not provide any equalization for this in the ES-100.
Old 27th November 2010, 09:47 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks Belserst.
Yep, the wings were supposed to change the 'dipolarity'. The Geschka web site has pictures of them, and posts by a guy from musicology in the uk can be found. One interesting thing about the wing is that it is not a straight line but a curve. From the pics the greatest (path) length added by the wing is about 20cm and that bulge is in the middle of the diaphragm. At the top and bottom of the wing they look as if they add between 5 and 10 cm. Also, the wings were placed on the back of the loudspeakers. In my case the 'shapes' probably add about 60cm and are on the front of the speakers.

I realise too, that I made a typo in a previous post:

"4 was the idea of the more than 130 shape"
should read: "....more than 180 shape"

Hide this!Advertise here!