Fibonacci Ribbons from George Short - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2010, 06:04 PM   #1
davebtw is offline davebtw  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Fibonacci Ribbons from George Short

Has anyone here ever heard George Short's (North Creek Music) new ribbon speakers? They are nearly full range and need only a subwoofer. He seems to think they are something special. I live so far away from upstate New York that I may never get to hear them.

Comments?

Fibonacci Technologies
Old 29th October 2010, 08:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Very hard to belive a crossover to the woofer at 80hz. If thats true this is special
Old 29th October 2010, 08:58 PM   #3
JBdV is offline JBdV  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I have been following George through the web in the last few years. I do think his ribbons are very good!!!
Old 31st October 2010, 09:29 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

espacenet — Tegninger

This have been shown in a danish hifi magasin years ago.
Old 1st November 2010, 09:15 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The date on the patent application is exactly one year ago. How could this have been shown "years ago?"

Like most high end audio equipment, just too dang expensive. Even if it performs as claimed (I have no reason to believe otherwise), I just could not justify the expense--even if I could afford it.

If you could get past the "first pair" expense maybe.

I have found that "very good" performance at low cost, far outweighs "best experience" at ridiculous cost. You just get so much more out of life. Many well designed systems outperform "live" performances now. Sound recordings and playback are approaching the photograph level of reproduction.

That doesn't mean I don't want a system that outperforms, just that systems are getting that good.
Old 1st November 2010, 09:38 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin87 View Post
The date on the patent application is exactly one year ago. How could this have been shown "years ago?"
It is an application, not a patent. If it has been shown years ago, and the patent inspectors find that, then the patent will not be granted.

dave
Old 1st November 2010, 09:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Like most high end audio equipment, just too dang expensive. Even if it performs as claimed (I have no reason to believe otherwise), I just could not justify the expense--even if I could afford it.

If you could get past the "first pair" expense maybe.

I have found that "very good" performance at low cost, far outweighs "best experience" at ridiculous cost. You just get so much more out of life. Many well designed systems outperform "live" performances now. Sound recordings and playback are approaching the photograph level of reproduction.

That doesn't mean I don't want a system that outperforms, just that systems are getting that good.
How there is nothing new in bending a ribbon. That is what I ment.
Old 2nd November 2010, 04:00 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Ok, "This" referred to the idea, not the document linked to. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 2nd November 2010, 10:35 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
snip
Many well designed systems outperform "live" performances now. Sound recordings and playback are approaching the photograph level of reproduction.

snip
Yes hilarious, I am sure you meant that as a joke.

But in case you didn't, I hope I will live to see the day when I mistake a loudspeaker for the real thing, even 10 feet down the hallway.

Or maybe I am misunderstanding.... after all, I've never mistaken a photo of a mountain for the real thing either - even looking at it with one eye closed. So maybe you are right. Some loudspeakers are just as "perfect" as some photographs.

Or just what could you mean?

Why does so much of hifi high-end advertizing make me immediately think of claims made for speaker wires?

Last edited by bentoronto; 2nd November 2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 3rd November 2010, 06:16 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

What makes this "special"? The numbers?

Or is it a truly unique design?

Seems to me that this company is a fly-by-night affair where a guy with a garage and $20k in investment capital thinks he can make it in the "hi-fi" world as a world-class manufacturer. More advertising, words, and flair than actual product.

Every picture on the website looks like it was taken in the same home. The owner of the company.

Don't get me wrong. I believe it is possible for the little guy to come up with something new and completely change the world. I just don't think this is it. It just looks like another large planar/ribbon variant that claims to cover more octaves than others do.

The last time I was impressed by a new idea of creating sound was when I read about a tweeter that used a plasma arc that was excited by the music signal to expand and contract.

I'm waiting for the day when we master the fundamental forces of the universe, and can modulate gravity to pull the gas molecules of the air toward and away from a point in the middle of the air. Only then will we be able to create truly "perfect" hi-fi sound.

Hide this!Advertise here!