Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2012, 08:20 AM   #41
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I have a pair with S/N around 50000 but still no clamping boards. I read somewhere that they can be substituted with gas discharge lightning suppressors rated at 1.5 kV.
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:13 PM   #42
Bazukaz is offline Bazukaz  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Bazukaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshifis View Post
I have a pair with S/N around 50000 but still no clamping boards. I read somewhere that they can be substituted with gas discharge lightning suppressors rated at 1.5 kV.
Yeah, there is a suggestion to use one particular type : CG3-1.5L.
Not sure if its really any better than a clamping board. IMO gas discharge voltage suppressors are designed to clamp low number of large transients; but what about frequent long term use?
Gonna try this as its a lot easier to install and cheaper also than building a zener based protection board.

Regards,
Lukas.
Old 3rd December 2012, 02:28 PM   #43
lampes is offline lampes  Greece
diyAudio Member

It may be interesting for Quad ESL57 owners.
RARE QUAD ESL57 ORIGINAL QUAD UK TREBLE PANELS - PAIR
Old 3rd December 2012, 05:54 PM   #44
sheep is offline sheep  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have a dead bass panel. How would one test it to see what is wrong with it?
Old 4th December 2012, 12:30 AM   #45
Bazukaz is offline Bazukaz  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Bazukaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep View Post
I have a dead bass panel. How would one test it to see what is wrong with it?
There are quite many articles and pdf books about rebuilding quad esl 57 on the net. I suggest you read them and a lot of questions will be answered.
Google is your friend
Old 4th December 2012, 05:05 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Yes, a lot of stuff available to read about this speakers.

For me, it is like a lifetime love, the ESL57.

My first contact with this speakers was in 1973, when I was 17 years old. My boss at this time was a formerly owner of a HiFi shop.

And he offered me a pair of NOS ESL57 for about 400.- swiss francs.

I used it in my very very small room in my parents house, driven by a Pamphonic tube amp (mono, the speakers attached in parallel) and a Lenco L75 turntable.

This was the initiation of my audiophile sickness...

Later, I sold the Quads and purchased a B&O amplifier and speakers (not to bad in the 70ties). The turntable was a direct driven Dual and a Decca London Cartridge.

I used this setup during 20 years (got married, childrens and so on), but I was always dreaming about the ESL's sound.

After a phase of using NAD/Quadral 3-way speakers, I began actively to search starting 2001. Building a lot of speakers (Coral Beta 8, Fostex wood horns and more) and built many amplifiers and other equipment.

The ESL's are for me a "back to the root" story, it stopped my search for my loved sound, driven by an F5 amp and JC2 preamp, feeded by a squeezebox/Audio Alchemy DDE3.0 DAC or simplistic RIAA/Thorens TD126/SME/Benz ACE S.

The Nelson Pass F5 is imho the best amp to drive ESL57. The F5 does not care about the complex impedance load. Much better than the original QuadII !! And, very important: no worries to arc the treble panels!

Life is good. Life is love. Life is sound!
Franz

/Edit
I forgot: the ESL are supported by a professional 350W JBL Subwoofer.

Last edited by Franz Gysi; 4th December 2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 4th December 2012, 09:46 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

How conductive do the stators need to be?
I was thinking of using some graphite if necessary to repair the conductive layer.
Old 5th December 2012, 08:38 AM   #48
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

The conductive coating is on the outer side of the stators, and it should be near zero resistance. You can measure the continuity from the rivet at either side to any point on the surface. The grey painting should be scrathed a bit with the DMM probe. If there is open circuit, check the rivet-to-metalization continuity. But the stators themselves seldom have any problem. Is there polarizing voltage present at the diaphragm? Is it perhaps leaking? You can check leaking by the neon bulb method mentioned in this thread. Swapping the working and non-working stator could also exclude any problem in the HT unit and in the transformer.
Old 5th December 2012, 06:53 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

What did the original bass panels use for conductive paint?
The treble panels have a conductivity of around 10kohms accoriding to a Quad rebuild book.
Old 4th February 2013, 07:08 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Agree totally.
I have a parallel-mosfet F5 and that improved the naturalness a lot. Some call it turbo, others hot. Well, for me it is more laid back . .
And that is precisely what these speakers want.
Many amplifiers get squeezed in the high leading to the severe directivity; with my t-F5 that is all gone.
Some might think the squeezed sound is from a bad panel: not at all.
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Gysi View Post

For me, it is like a lifetime love, the ESL57.

The ESL's are for me a "back to the root" story, it stopped my search for my loved sound, driven by an F5 amp and JC2 preamp, feeded by a squeezebox/Audio Alchemy DDE3.0 DAC or simplistic RIAA/Thorens TD126/SME/Benz ACE S.

The Nelson Pass F5 is imho the best amp to drive ESL57. The F5 does not care about the complex impedance load. Much better than the original QuadII !! And, very important: no worries to arc the treble panels!

Life is good. Life is love. Life is sound!
Franz

/Edit
I forgot: the ESL are supported by a professional 350W JBL Subwoofer.

Hide this!Advertise here!