awsome new idea or allready done that is the question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2010, 02:44 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Talking awsome new idea or allready done that is the question

.I have no idea if this has been done before but I had an idea to take an electro manent such as that out of the heart of a standard subwoofer and ionize the air inside of it in order to manipulate the ionized air with the electro magnent to produce sound. However of what quality I am not sure yet. Nor am I sure it will work any comments, sugestions, or feedback is greatly aprciated
Old 22nd September 2010, 05:05 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I can see how many people have viewed this and if I'm out of my mind please tell me lol I'm new to most of the more exotic and newer techknologys
Old 22nd September 2010, 05:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr OBrien View Post
I can see how many people have viewed this and if I'm out of my mind please tell me lol I'm new to most of the more exotic and newer techknologys
What HAS been done is to produce a 'flame' of ionized air, and modulate it with sound. The expanding/contracting flame produces sound of very high frequencies, kind of super-super twwwter.
Google 'ionovac tweeter', for instance.
I don't understand how you can manipulate this with the permanent magnet, you need some variable field like from a voice coil.

jan didden
Old 22nd September 2010, 06:18 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Google also "Hill Plasmatronics".
Old 22nd September 2010, 10:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ionovac is a truly fabulous tweeter. I distinctly remember the last time I heard them. 1968. Left quite an impression, at least relative to the domes appearing then.

Great many shortcomings. Same is true of a lot of great things.

Ability to project tweeter power is pretty important. Rarely present even in good systems. No kidding.
Old 23rd September 2010, 03:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
What HAS been done is to produce a 'flame' of ionized air, and modulate it with sound. The expanding/contracting flame produces sound of very high frequencies, kind of super-super twwwter.
Google 'ionovac tweeter', for instance.
I don't understand how you can manipulate this with the permanent magnet, you need some variable field like from a voice coil.

jan didden
I must apologize I did mean a voice coil when I said electromagnent from a subwofer and the reson I would pick that for my crude first model is because they are usually easy to come by that way I don't wast a lot of money if my idea is a complete failure. I am hopeing that an ignition coil from an older car would produce enough voltage to ionize the air to once again stay cheap the first time around. Ill try and keep everyone up to date on any developments if anyone is interested in the results.
Old 23rd September 2010, 11:02 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kavermei
Remember to open the window, at the point where you can smell the ozone, it is already 50x the healthy dose.
Old 23rd September 2010, 02:41 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavermei View Post
Remember to open the window, at the point where you can smell the ozone, it is already 50x the healthy dose.
Thank you for the warning I will definately keep that in mind.
Old 25th September 2010, 09:45 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr OBrien View Post
.I have no idea if this has been done before but I had an idea to take an electro manent such as that out of the heart of a standard subwoofer and ionize the air inside of it in order to manipulate the ionized air with the electro magnent to produce sound. However of what quality I am not sure yet. Nor am I sure it will work any comments, sugestions, or feedback is greatly aprciated
I think you find that this is already been done dozens of times. Do a search on Youtube for plasma speakers you'll get dozens like this one________YouTube - Plasma Speaker: Upgraded Musical Solid State Tesla Coil

Last edited by cirrus18; 25th September 2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 27th September 2010, 03:39 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrus18 View Post
I think you find that this is already been done dozens of times. Do a search on Youtube for plasma speakers you'll get dozens like this one________YouTube - Plasma Speaker: Upgraded Musical Solid State Tesla Coil
I do not want to use plasma I would like to use something like the tecknology in the dyson. Air multiplyer to make sound I'm still getting the peices to try it out bacause I want to spend as little money as possible first try. If it makes any noise I may take it a little further.

Hide this!Advertise here!