Planar speaker - first try - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2012, 08:00 AM   #141
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: wigston leics england
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockguitardude View Post
James, how did you go about tensioning the membrane? How did you keep it consistent between both speakers?

Very cool work!
I use a wood surround and screws.I place the 4 wood pieces in place round the diaphragm cutout, hold them in position with 2 screws in each piece. I then pull the membrane and tighten the screw and work my way around a screw at a time till it feels like a drum skin, nice and taut all round. The consistency is due to your strength of pull, which is constant, so don't do it when you are tired or fed up!! It always gets looser when you run the speakers for a while. So you may have to do it again. Depends how keen you are and how picky you are as well. You could do it several times until you are satisfied, but I only do it once.Depends on the music you play how loud etc. Being in stereo you get different strains on the membrane, so you can't really hope to keep the membranes the same anyway!
__________________
HENRY
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 11:39 PM   #142
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: wigston leics england
Default new living room layout

Have completely changed my layout in the living room, and made more room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0235.JPG (461.2 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0236.JPG (363.4 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0237.JPG (396.0 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0239.JPG (408.6 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0240.JPG (405.0 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0241.JPG (392.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0242.JPG (379.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0243.JPG (422.2 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0244.JPG (415.7 KB, 95 views)
__________________
HENRY
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 07:01 PM   #143
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Default going to try this myself

In reading for a while about building magnetic planar speakers I have come to think I shouldn't be too difficult to achieve. I do however have a couple of questions.

1. I don't understand the layout of the magnets, a row of N(orth) with a gap and then a row of S(outh) pole magnets i.e. : Woofer, membrane ribbon loudpseaker conductor design

If the "coil" attached to the mylar acts as a electromagnet, why would you have both poles on the iron plate instead of just one? Wouldn't they cancel each other out? Wouldn't that cause the mylar to vibrate up and down and not in and out?

2. According to Magnepan they use 12v direct current to align the coil wires i.e: REBoylin's 1.6 Mods : Info from Magnepan (look under "factory panel wiring installation")

Wouldn't having both north and south poles on the backplate cause the wire to be attracted to certain magnets and repelled from the others when this current is applied?

Thanks,
Brian
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 10:20 PM   #144
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: wigston leics england
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2002briguy View Post
In reading for a while about building magnetic planar speakers I have come to think I shouldn't be too difficult to achieve. I do however have a couple of questions.

1. I don't understand the layout of the magnets, a row of N(orth) with a gap and then a row of S(outh) pole magnets i.e. : Woofer, membrane ribbon loudpseaker conductor design

If the "coil" attached to the mylar acts as a electromagnet, why would you have both poles on the iron plate instead of just one? Wouldn't they cancel each other out? Wouldn't that cause the mylar to vibrate up and down and not in and out?

2. According to Magnepan they use 12v direct current to align the coil wires i.e: REBoylin's 1.6 Mods : Info from Magnepan (look under "factory panel wiring installation")

Wouldn't having both north and south poles on the backplate cause the wire to be attracted to certain magnets and repelled from the others when this current is applied?

Thanks,
Brian
you can see the layout I use on my designs, no gaps, 3mm wide aluminium tape, continuous tape between magnets. I don't use the follia layout too insensitive, better base with my designs. You can see 3 different designs the blue ones use neos, the ones underneath use plastic magnetic tape same as some magnapans. The big ones use ferrites. Post 136 shows the tape layout quite well, and if you look back you will see enough photos which will explain everything, no need to go anywhere else!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0313.JPG (618.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0312.JPG (353.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0291.JPG (375.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0305.JPG (395.3 KB, 62 views)
__________________
HENRY

Last edited by JAMESBOS; 7th August 2012 at 10:31 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 03:29 PM   #145
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMESBOS View Post
you can see the layout I use on my designs, no gaps, 3mm wide aluminium tape, continuous tape between magnets. I don't use the follia layout too insensitive, better base with my designs. You can see 3 different designs the blue ones use neos, the ones underneath use plastic magnetic tape same as some magnapans. The big ones use ferrites. Post 136 shows the tape layout quite well, and if you look back you will see enough photos which will explain everything, no need to go anywhere else!
Thanks for the reply. Where did you find magnets with the poles on the long flat sides and not the tips? I've found these --http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_5&products_id=16 -- would you suggest otherwise?

Also I wanted to use wire. Just my preference I guess. How much would this change my impedance if I were to use 0.2 mm aluminum wire vs. the foil tape?

How much impedance have you been getting on your designs?

Also just a curiosity question, as I asked last time, how would one get the wire to align with the magnets via 12v DC if both poles of the magnets exposed? Wouldn't the application of voltage only attract the wire to the opposite poles? For example wouldn't applying 12v+ DC attract the wire to the negative (south) poles and repel it from the positive (north) poles? How would one use this technique to align the wire. I'm interested in it as I feel this is maybe the most accurate way to align the voice coil.

Thanks,
Brian
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 07:41 AM   #146
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: wigston leics england
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2002briguy View Post
Thanks for the reply. Where did you find magnets with the poles on the long flat sides and not the tips? I've found these --http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_5&products_id=16 -- would you suggest otherwise?

Also I wanted to use wire. Just my preference I guess. How much would this change my impedance if I were to use 0.2 mm aluminum wire vs. the foil tape?

How much impedance have you been getting on your designs?

Also just a curiosity question, as I asked last time, how would one get the wire to align with the magnets via 12v DC if both poles of the magnets exposed? Wouldn't the application of voltage only attract the wire to the opposite poles? For example wouldn't applying 12v+ DC attract the wire to the negative (south) poles and repel it from the positive (north) poles? How would one use this technique to align the wire. I'm interested in it as I feel this is maybe the most accurate way to align the voice coil.

Thanks,
Brian
I got my magnets from china, which were the cheapest for me as I buy in thousands. Best to go on internet and look for magnets and troll through the lot as you can buy some that are for sale and special offers. I don't know much about wire but tape is better as the weight is less and it covers a bigger area. Fleming's left hand rule tells you the tape moves forward. I have built over 30 full range planars of different layouts and designs, using neos ferrites and plastic magnets, never had any problems with the direction of movement!!! If you are going to use wire just stick it along the axis between the 2 magnets.Put the magnets oin the perforated steel sheet put your mylar on top and hold it with blue tack, mark the diaphragm with black permanent marker along the magnet interfaces. Remove put on some board and join them up, until you have the required rectangular thin shapes . You can stick your wire on the lines thus marked, piece of cake.
__________________
HENRY
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 06:09 AM   #147
jay53 is offline jay53  India
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMESBOS View Post
you can see the layout I use on my designs, no gaps, 3mm wide aluminium tape, continuous tape between magnets. I don't use the follia layout too insensitive, better base with my designs. You can see 3 different designs the blue ones use neos, the ones underneath use plastic magnetic tape same as some magnapans. The big ones use ferrites. Post 136 shows the tape layout quite well, and if you look back you will see enough photos which will explain everything, no need to go anywhere else!
Hi JAMESBOS,

With your experience in using Ferrite, Plastic and Neo magnets to build the Planar Speakers, would you recommend the Ferrite ?

If so, what would be the optimum size of magnets, their separation and the size of the panel ? I presume 2 mm gap between the Film and magnets should be adequate?

Jay
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 11:36 AM   #148
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: wigston leics england
Default NEOS FERRITES AND PLASTIC MAGNETS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay53 View Post
Hi JAMESBOS,

With your experience in using Ferrite, Plastic and Neo magnets to build the Planar Speakers, would you recommend the Ferrite ?

If so, what would be the optimum size of magnets, their separation and the size of the panel ? I presume 2 mm gap between the Film and magnets should be adequate?

Jay
I would recommend the ferrites because of the price difference if you don't mind the weight difference! Also easier on the fingers less blood blisters. The gap is 2mm for the ferrites and the plastic magnets . 3mm for the neos. The optimum size for neos is 50 x 12.7 x 3mm and the ferrites is 50 x 18 x 10mm. The width of the tape is 3mm. The size of the cutout is approximately 46 x 92cm. for the ferrites, and 36 x 88cm for the neos. Although you can make them any size you like to fit your circumstances. As I have built them from planar up to 7' x 2' in size! The gap between the columns is 1cm for ferrites and 1.5cm for the neos. I prefer the tape to be placed horizontally, you get better bass this way! Don't ask me why, I don't know. The best plastic magnets to use is the 50 X 3MM which is sold in meters This is the best strength to buy, from ENES Magnesy in Poland. You may prefer to use neos as you can hang them from the ceiling which would be very difficult with ferrites!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0341.JPG (340.4 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0342.JPG (349.5 KB, 74 views)
__________________
HENRY
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 01:36 PM   #149
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
looks vary cool keep up the good work....HENRY
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 04:20 AM   #150
jay53 is offline jay53  India
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMESBOS View Post
I would recommend the ferrites because of the price difference if you don't mind the weight difference! Also easier on the fingers less blood blisters. The gap is 2mm for the ferrites and the plastic magnets . 3mm for the neos. The optimum size for neos is 50 x 12.7 x 3mm and the ferrites is 50 x 18 x 10mm. The width of the tape is 3mm. The size of the cutout is approximately 46 x 92cm. for the ferrites, and 36 x 88cm for the neos. Although you can make them any size you like to fit your circumstances. As I have built them from planar up to 7' x 2' in size! The gap between the columns is 1cm for ferrites and 1.5cm for the neos. I prefer the tape to be placed horizontally, you get better bass this way! Don't ask me why, I don't know. The best plastic magnets to use is the 50 X 3MM which is sold in meters This is the best strength to buy, from ENES Magnesy in Poland. You may prefer to use neos as you can hang them from the ceiling which would be very difficult with ferrites!
JAMESBOS,

Appreciate your quick response. So Ferrites it is. I wonder if one could use the double sided foam tape to anchor the tensioned film as it is generally done on Electrostats. Do you find it desirable to use Subwoofer and a Ribbon Driver to augment the Planar ?

Jay
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full range planar speaker using neo magnets JAMESBOS Planars & Exotics 335 5th April 2014 01:28 PM
Anybody seen this type of planar speaker? WrineX Planars & Exotics 18 20th August 2012 02:36 AM
My DIY planar speaker! Matt MacBeth Planars & Exotics 5 1st July 2010 09:29 AM
need help picking a planar speaker lochness Multi-Way 5 30th May 2007 08:42 AM
planar 25 vs planar 3 GAK Analogue Source 2 30th January 2004 03:38 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:31 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2