High voltage electrical wire for ESL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I am looking for high voltage electrical wire for ESL.
I did find some which is cheap but rather big: diameter of about 6.6mm.
This kind is wire is normally used for neon lights and is rated for 10kV.
I would like to find some much thinner (between 2.7 and 3.4mm), for wiring the tweeters of ESL57 thus capable of withstanding only 1.5kV. I would use it as well for internal wiring of bass panel.
Nexans produces such cable (HT 306) but I do not need 100m of cable (Farnell sells it).
Where can I find such wire ?

Hi, I must admit that when I built my ESL@s I used what I had of cables.

Bias-voltage is run through thin (0,25mm) tefloncoated hookup wire, and signal before and after stepup trafo is normal speaker cable.

I have a bias voltage adjustable between 0 - 7200v normally running at 5500vdc and signal voltage is max 6000v.

I have not had any problems, flashovers etc.

Regards,

Bent

In general wire insulation is very conservatively rated. But we are talking about lots of Volts.
You might try test lead wire. Or you might be able to pull the insulated center conductor out of some co-ax cables.

One day at work we tested some intercom wire (sort of like CAT3) and it handled 1500V.

For information, "alpha wire" makes very thin high performance HT wire like this one: ALPHA WIRE|39X2215 WH005|WIRE, SILICONE, 15KV, 22AWG, 30 | Farnell United Kingdom
Apart from the price, it looks like an ideal cable (in my opinion). But really too expensive.

Thus, as suggested, I will certainly use standard test lead wire like this one: MC (MULTI CONTACT)|61.7605-22|WIRE, SILICON, RED, 0.50MM, 5M | Farnell United Kingdom
and add some tubing around it like this one: SILIKON ISOLIERSCHLAUCH 3 MM bei Mercateo günstig kaufen

Without tubing, it should be perfect for 1.5kV (treble panel of ESL57)

POMONA certainly makes good wires but hard to find in my country.

I run each of my tweeters with about 25 feet of "mains" power extension cord. Kind of like a garden extension cord, 16 gauge, 3 wire.... you can use the nice green wire for bias (about 1200 v, in my case). The insulation is pretty thick. Black rubber. Maybe 7/16 diameter. Bought a big hunk of it at a rummage sale 25 years ago.

My sound level meter says the tweets play as loud as they ought to (and my spectrum analyzer says they play clear as could be) for an octave beyond my hearing.

I hope that puts things in perspective and provides a reality check.

Last edited:
This is really the one I should find: no compromise on performance, not too thick (<4mm for Quad 57 bass panel internal wiring) and affordable.
But whatever my efforts, I could not find any seller that ships to Europe (excl. UK) ! Anyone knows one ?

I've got one: I just ordered the pomona wire from Mouser Electronics.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.