I have had it with these es200's - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2010, 08:00 AM   #11
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

sounds very much like excessive leakage. As Wachara wrote one blink every 30secs or less is a good value (20Meg resistor, 47nF-100nF Cap and 94Volt ignition voltage of the lamp). A blink each second or even faster is definitely a sign for a lot of leakage.
If You build the thingie with bare hands a unvisible sweaty fingerprint can spoil all effort.
I wouldn´t use metal bolts for fixing. If any bolts are needed try nylon bolts.
One shouldn´t regard the diaphragm as an true insulator. It´s just the same as a coating, just with a higher resistance/longer time-constant.
If there were a material with similar mechanical properties and the right surface resistance values one needn´t any coating at all.
I found that cutting the diaphragm right along the rim of the stators often results in leakage paths. When the diaphragm was cut on the surface of the spacers, a few mm to the ´inside´ leakage typically appeared more seldom.

jauu
Calvin
Old 18th August 2010, 11:58 AM   #12
WrineX is offline WrineX  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Thx calvin. i tried it without the bolts just by pressing, no diferents in blinking time so the bolts should be safe (also did not coat around the bolts) further more i did make some progress.

i washed my panels now with amonia diluted with water and a broom. well gues what the bucket about 5 liters whas almost brown when completed only one stator. after that i used the shower to get rid of the amonia dirty water. then dried everything.

also thought if this dirst is causing leakage on the panel it sure as hell will cause some problems on the PCB where the cascade is and the connections to he tranfsoferms. sou i cleaned them with some alcohol, phoo loads of dirty crap came off. and for the first time i power them up , right away perfect balance, so both sound the same as in volume.
can play really loud to, there remains only one problem! with bass at high volume i still have the membraan flaping to stator sometimes.

this could either be i drive them to loud. its also the point where the tranfromers almost hit saturation in the high tones so this could be just the max. or i need more dots of silicone wich can screw up my Fs. already asked many people about how many dots there shou;d be, but it looks everybody has diferent values. as i remember my speaker had 2 dots at 4th bar from up and 4th from down. can someone tell me if this is correct? MJ has every bar a dot, but uses 3 micro foil so maybe thats the diference.

also this is the ES200 not the ES100 wich has dots on all bars.
Old 18th August 2010, 05:10 PM   #13
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

are you clipping the amp?

whats ur spl @ 1m? there is a limit.
Old 18th August 2010, 05:54 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi WrineX,

I wonder why you have to wash your diaphragms? Do you feel that they are too dirty with dirt? Perhaps vacuuming is better if that is the case.

Wachara C.
Old 18th August 2010, 06:18 PM   #15
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

he said coated with smokers brown goo...

_-_-bear
Old 18th August 2010, 07:31 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

yeah and this is what whas the problem the whole year around. took me total of i think near 100 hours of frustration. to find out me next project will be less work
Old 18th August 2010, 11:36 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
are you clipping the amp?

whats ur spl @ 1m? there is a limit.
cant really say i have a microphone to do some mearurements but its not calibrated so i dont know what the spl is right now. i thin its what i should be now its quite loud. much louder then it whas, can even turn it up where i do not want to listen to it more then one song. but its mostly the mids that are screaming with these stats when played loud. just came to my computer after long listening sesion. pretty content right now, only in the last minute my membrane sucked to one stator al of a sudden. wich kind of sucks. ad more silicone or increase tension last option means i have to redo mylar.
Old 19th August 2010, 01:23 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I would try placing dots per ES100 at every brace. It will not raise the resonant frequency very much but will greatly improve the slap problem.
Old 19th August 2010, 07:29 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

hmmm maybe ill try it then. hope its the last thing i do ever to this set or end up replacing membrane again hehe

dont have major leakage and efficiency problems anymore so thats a PLus!
Old 23rd August 2010, 12:48 PM   #20
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Ok, so what was the thing that "fixed" the panels then??

_-_-

Hide this!Advertise here!