My new project: Duevel Omni design - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th August 2010, 10:30 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hi WrineX,

Using a full ranger would not be suitable. I sort of tried it before. The problem is the treble, a high frequency, it tends to beam, leaving energy on the axis only. On the other hand the design is such that they have flat frequency response throughout the range. So when you add in a conical diffuser the total energy for the treble is severly reduced. You would need a speaker with a rising high frequency response to do that. I think some of the older speakers from mark audioexhibit such characterisitic..

Oon
Old 12th August 2010, 11:10 AM   #12
avico78 is offline avico78  Israel
diyAudio Member

Thanks Oon,

As i check in some place the compresion driver they use is this one:
ND2080 - HF Neodymium Driver

So as understand - a conical diffuser will not work with HF or work but need very special driver?can you please check and advice for the ND2080 if it will do the work?
I heard the bella luna which is almost same conecpt (conical diffuser for HF as well) and it sound like a dram , Do you think in the design where Diffuser will do bad for HF?

Currently im working hard to get the proper shape for the cones , espically for the HF where it's a bit problem cause i can't find any information for calculating the cone for HF.

For the lower box , Im planning to do it 70-75 lit.
See attached- graphs for 70 and 60 lit design with woofer and port 40*100 mm...
What do u think?Should i go for bigger box?
Is the box calculations are the same for reuhlar box (when the driver location in the front)?

Thanks a lot!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70 lit.jpg (46.0 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg 65.jpg (45.8 KB, 199 views)

Last edited by avico78; 12th August 2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12th August 2010, 12:16 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hi avico78,

Just to be clear on things, I am no expert on the suitable driver. Only commented that full range speakers are not suitable, since you can't adjust the balance between mids and highs. I reckon, your tweeter is prob ok as long as it is possible to adjust the level.

Oon

Hide this!Advertise here!