Ionic propulsion speaker? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd July 2010, 08:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bacon665
Default Ionic propulsion speaker?

So ive had a few wasted nights were i layed there and couldnt sleep so what did i do? i suffered in agony as commercials ran through my mind. Then i had this idea and of course that definately didnt help me sleep but anyways. i was reminded somehow of the commercial for the dyson fan. if im not mistaken its just a giant ion generator thats being used to push air. I remembered seeing this kit which i may to experiment with. IG7 - Ion Generator Kit - Ramsey Electronics

But basically im looking to see if anyone else thinks this can be used as a speaker. in a way i wonder if it can improve on the fan sub principle or if the response time could be fast enough for mid/tweeter.

No matter what its used for a healthy speaker sounds like a good get quick rich scheme to me.
Old 23rd July 2010, 08:57 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The Dyson fan is a $300 marketing scam. It has a fan, I mean "impeller" , in the base. It's just as noisy as a traditional fan and it blows about the same volume of air as a similar sized fan.

Anyway, ion propulsion is extremely inefficient and requires the use of xenon gas or liquid metals such as caesium or indium as a "fuel".

I don't think you mean that kind of ion propulsion though.

There are such things as plasma speakers......

YouTube - plasma tweeter

Last edited by theAnonymous1; 23rd July 2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 23rd July 2010, 09:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bacon665
plasma speakers have their own set of inherent problems and side effects(building a set in december anyway). the ion air cleaners dont need fans nor does the kit i posted (that im aware of) but it most likely is a bad idea.

Hide this!Advertise here!