magnet wire for stators - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2010, 05:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default magnet wire for stators

hi all
just after some oppinions on which type of wire is best for wire stators and also what size in mm is optimol im thinking 3 to 5 mm

also what type of spacing is best alround for efficency and output again i seem to read that 3 to 5mm is fine ?

is normal magnet wires insulation suitable and what about normal cable like power wire is the insulation on this sufficent ?

one last question regarding air gap spacing ,what would be the best compromise for a full range panel

thanks in advance for any help regards sheafer
Old 22nd June 2010, 03:15 AM   #2
mavric is offline mavric  United States
diyAudio Member

You are going to need a really strong and stable amp or amps to achieve full range. Just my opinion from experience.
Old 22nd June 2010, 05:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default take a look

картинка стоит тысячи слов. Здесь рис моего нового автомобиля, Dodge Viper SRT10, очень быстро, но нужна помощь с вашей стороны. МАВ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6220180.jpg (313.8 KB, 242 views)
Old 22nd June 2010, 07:47 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kavermei
???
Old 22nd June 2010, 08:14 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

hi mavric
i reakon my diy aleph 2 has it covered no worries

i have also got a diy aleph jx just about finnished as well

ive now changed my plans any way ,i have bought a full set of er audio acorn panels from er audio

i will recieve them this week and am thinking about using wire stators on them .rob from er audio says its doable if i can find the right wire ,he says 2mm is best with hv insulating varnish as insulation

cheers
Old 22nd June 2010, 01:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

can you post any pics? I am interested, sorry if my Russian is vague, it has been a while.
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

hi
yes, i will start a build thread with pics as i will have a lot of questions regarding step up toroids and such

i should get the package from er audio today hopefully

regards sheafer
Old 23rd June 2010, 02:25 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

That would be nice as soon as you can. I have had some personal injury that has put me out for quiet some time now. As far as what you are doing, a picture is worth a thousand words, and if you need help posting pics, let me know, the mods have made it rather simple. Mav
Old 23rd June 2010, 05:34 AM   #9
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

3-5mm would mean the possible peak-peak stroke of the diaphragm, hence the stator-stator distance.
The typical magnet wire is a one-layer coated copper wire which IŽd use for testing. For a final design IŽd use minimum a 2-layer coating. The best would of course be a corona-resistant coating, which normally is a 3-layer coating and which is fabricated only on demand (250kg min. order).

The wire need to be tested on cracks and failures after tensioning and straightening. But since the wire is intended to be wound on motor cores under quite a lot of pull- and bend-stress, the tensioning should not vreate many problems.
PVC-insulated copper wire is a cheap and proven-to-be-reliable alternative.
Audiostatic, Acoustat and others used and use this material successfully.
H07VU (~4mm diam.) and H05VU (~3mm diam.) and smaller are the european standards. There will be comparable american standards.
PVC is quite flexible, so it wonŽt break or crack when the wire is tensioned. It can easily be deinsulated (could be a problem with magnet wire) and its cheap and easy to source. The insulative layer is much thicker than magnet wire, which will give a bit -but nothing serious- lower efficiency. Besides black You can source a few different colors, while magnet wire mostly has a redish colour with brown, green or golden touch.
Comparing performance, price and sourcability the PVC-insulated wire is unbeaten.

jauu
Calvin
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:05 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

hi all

no probs maveric i will start a build thread with pics ,i was hoping to get the acorn package today but it didnt arrive so fingers crossed for tommorow

hi calvin
so it seems the pvc wire will be a bit more forgiving then
my only problem with it for me is the thickness inc insulation

the acorn stators are 1mm thick so idealy to make it easy i would replace them with 1mm inc insulation wire which would keep my air gap the same

pianno wire is also a possibility but i would have to insulate it with hv varnish which i can get in a spray can ,im not sure how good it is though or how many layers it would take

the easyest would be some hard drawn copper wire in 1mm if i could find it
this would allow me to make frames the same size as the stators they are replacing which i could then get coated and just drop in to the air gap supports the same as the normal panel stators

regards sheafer

Hide this!Advertise here!