Magnepan modification blurb..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use eletrostast's as my preference but thr MG20.1's would be my second choice. My one concern about the Magnapans is that they flip the polarity of the different panels to achieve a flat response (assumption on my part) which is questionable in my book.

Never heard of that ! but necessary in some respects due to the phase angle change by the caps in the x-over .

I have heard the new 1.7's on several occasions and it was pretty impressive considering it was placed in such a small room. A big advance over the 1.6's.

No I have not heard the little ones but I doubt they could give the line source experience that the Maggies are famous for.

There is an improvement ... Big improvement ? yet to be seen !

As the differences were not that pronounced IMO when i heard the 1.7. regardless it is still planer magnetic and suffers from all the problems associated with such .

Phase Master,

I cite the wood block test ........but to be honest I am pretty picky. My main criteria when listening to the 1.7's was how coherent it sounded which is slightly lacking in the 1.6's, but then again my reference is a stat which every element carries the entire frequency range. I would love to hear them in a larger room to get a better idea of their potential.

Regards,

Jam

Last edited:
The Wood Effect, by R.C. Johnsen, cost $7.95 when it was first published and could be obtained at The Modern Audio Association, 23 Stillings Street, Boston, MA 02210. It is out of print in 2006 but copies might still be obtainable from the author.

I use eletrostast's as my preference but thr MG20.1's would be my second choice. My one concern about the Magnapans is that they flip the polarity of the different panels to achieve a flat response (assumption on my part) which is questionable in my book.

In the 3-way Maggies, one driver is always inverted (which one depends on what filter slopes they decided to use for that model). :)

But, yes, I agree that's undesirable.

Regards,

Andy

Here it is. It is clear that the film is completely on one side of the magnet. So both sides are not identical. However it is not clear if the second side is also covered with a similar perforated panel as the one shown ? Wouldn't radiation be different from either side ? Is the frequency response different when taken with either side facing forwards ?

No, ashok, the second side is not covered by a similar perforated sheet of metal having 3M rubberized strip magnets - except for:
* the 20; this had magnets both sides of the bass panel only.
* the 20.1; this has magnets both sides of the mid & bass panels.

Hence you can listen with the metal towards you ... or the mylar towards you; various models were made each way. The sound is different front to back; basically, with the metal (and magnets) at the front, the leading edge of a bass transient pushes the voice-coil towards the magnets - ie. into a region of higher magnetic field. This is good ... but you are listening "through the holes in the metal".

With the mylar at the front, you have no diffraction between the voice-coil and your ears ... but you will hear the leading edge of bass transients as not so sharp, as the voice coil is moving away from the magnets and therefore into a lesser magnetic field.

Some people prefer the mylar frontwards, others prefer the metal screen frontwards.

Regards,

Andy

Wouldn't Maggies be better at HF reproduction as they have lighter diaphragms without the mass of a metal conductor ?

Yes - if the Maggies are true-ribbon models (III/IIIa/3.X/T-IVa/20/20.1). :)

The ribbons have magnets on each side of the (folded, aluminium foil - "thinner than a butterfly's wings", according to Magnepan! :)) ribbon. Hence the transmission is "almost" clear, front or back. (I say "almost" because, while the back of the ribbon (in the stock mounting) is clear, the front is "protected" by the horizontal bars of the ribbon cage. IMO this must be causing diffraction, so I have reversed my ribbons - and compensated for the polarity change.)

Regards,

Andy

It's only my opinion

Magnepan speakers are the second best bargain speaker in audio and the first one is of course Acoustat's 5 different pairs in 25 years with NO problems what so ever that's what i call reliability dollar for dollar Acoustat's are the BEST to bad now only available in China.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The close up view of the Magnepan MMG appears to have fairly thick wire on the main panel. Is the picture exaggerating the guage or is it really pretty thick ? Must make the panel quite heavy . Am I seeing the right picture.....the conductor being regular wire glued to the film ?

I checked out the Peter Gunn site. His mods on the MMG look really great. Beautiful finish. Have a look.
Peter Gunn’s MMG Magnestand

The close up view of the Magnepan MMG appears to have fairly thick wire on the main panel. Is the picture exaggerating the guage or is it really pretty thick ? Must make the panel quite heavy . Am I seeing the right picture.....the conductor being regular wire glued to the film ?

Hi ashok,

Magnepan "wire" is glued to the mylar sheet. The older models used to all use aluminium "round wire" but some newer models have "flat wire" (ie. thin aluminium foil).

In terms of the round wire models, typically the bass wire was 22g or 23g and the tweeter wires were 31g.

If you took the total weight of, say, 150' of bass wire plus 30' of tweeter wire and then added the weight of the mylar sheet, I think you'd end up with a small number.

Regards,

Andy

I have one old magneplanar 1.6 whose membranes have ben ruined.
Can somebody teel me where i can find foil for membranes?

If you mean the aluminium wire/foil is damaged then, if you are in the States, call the factory at White Bear Lakes. They will ship you a repair kit.

If you are in another part of the world, your country importer should have the repair kits.

But if you mean the mylar sheet is damaged then you may or may not be able to repair this (depending on the size of the hole). But the factory will be able to fix it.

Regards,

Andy

Why you woories how i instal the foil,extand and in the Serbia experts for the loudsoeakers,if i didn't have the tool for the stretching foil never try to do this.
In my contry peoples buy the modern suround systems and old typs of speakers witch quality of sound is forgotten.And now when i vant to fix the problem on my magneplanars i cant find the foil because my contru lags for the such tehnology.
Please bee more concrete,help me to find what i vant,type the adres or email of firm who can that send to me.

Why you woories how i instal the foil,extand and in the Serbia experts for the loudsoeakers,if i didn't have the tool for the stretching foil never try to do this.
In my contry peoples buy the modern suround systems and old typs of speakers witch quality of sound is forgotten.And now when i vant to fix the problem on my magneplanars i cant find the foil because my contru lags for the such tehnology.
Please bee more concrete,help me to find what i vant,type the adres or email of firm who can that send to me.

Hi nino,

If there is no Magnepan importer in your country (I'm assuming this is Serbia?) then you will have to contact Magnepan in the USA. They are the only people who can supply you with the aluminium wire or foil. Their website is here:
Stereo Speakers, Home Theater Speakers, High Fidelity Audio - Magnepan, Inc.

They do not have an email address for customers (only for dealers) so you will have to write to them or phone them. Their contact details are:

MAGNEPAN
1645 Ninth Street
White Bear Lake, MN 55110
USA
+1 (651) 426-1645

Is the mylar sheet damaged or is it the wire/foil?

Regards,

Andy

BTW, as a Maggie owner, I suggest you would benefit from registering on the Planar Asylum - here:
The Planar Speaker Asylum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.