diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Planars & Exotics (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/)
-   -   Martin Logan SL3 = dead => help (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/167304-martin-logan-sl3-dead-help.html)

peranders 22nd May 2010 06:49 PM

Martin Logan SL3 = dead => help

My Martin Logan SL3 has the following problem:
Pops with a few seconds intervall. The sound in the panel is very weak but the base is normal.

I have vacuum cleaned the panel after having the power switch of for 24 hours.

I tried to open the backside but it's really stuck and I don't dare to use any excessive force.

So my questions are:

1 What is the problem?

2 How do I get inside without damage anything?

3 Does anybody have a picture and/or a schematics of the inside.

CharlieM 22nd May 2010 08:32 PM

That intermittent "pop" could be arcing. I shorted a panel once and it had similar symptoms. When I dismantled it I found several burned areas along the panel edges due to arcing. I ended up completely rebuilding the panel (recoated the stators and installed a new diaphragm). Mine isn't a Martin Logan though and I don't know how yours are assembled or wired up. Good luck with it.

peranders 22nd May 2010 08:45 PM

The pop sound comes from the hole panel so I don't think the problem is there. The stators are insulated with some coating.

bolserst 22nd May 2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peranders (Post 2195448)
My Martin Logan SL3 has the following problem:
Pops with a few seconds intervall. The sound in the panel is very weak but the base is normal.

Like Charlie mentioned, the repetitive pops are most likely arcing.
When the arc occurs it does induce a voltage transient into the whole panel so a lot of times it sounds like the pop is coming from the whole panel.

To locate the location of the arc, power up the speaker in a completely darkened room, or closet. Once your eyes have adapted to the dark, you should be able to see a small blue arc somewhere on the panel each time you hear a pop.

Once you know where the arcing is occurring, investigate the location with a magnifying glass; both front and back sides. Sometimes there is some small bit that has stuck to the edge of the foam tape spacers that the vacuum couldn't suck loose.

Kontra 23rd May 2010 06:40 PM

dust

In my ESL sometimes collects dust. I always get rid of dust so: Blow it out of ESL carefully. My vacuum cleaner has input and output. Hose to exit the vacuum cleaner and blowing dust. Hose to wash the dust and dry. Compressed air from a cylinder is no good. Water condenses and falls into the ESL. Suitable for even the hand pump. To blow out at once - see the light from the HV discharge in absolute darkness. There blow once. The discharge will be lost. No fan included in ESL. Before you blow off!

peranders 23rd May 2010 07:27 PM

Can't see any arching.

Andersonix 25th May 2010 10:27 PM

Hej P-A!

I have late model SL3. You might use a tool in one of the empty screw holes to pull the cover loose. Slight sideways force on the speaker terminals might work too. The cover is just stuck on the old seal. Worst case, you might need to push through the woofer hole.

Start your diagnosis by cleaning and re-connecting ALL the internal wire connections and push down on the 14-pin IC. If that doesn't help, then swap panels left to right to see if the problem is with the panel or the electronics. Let's see where that gets you.

peranders 31st May 2010 04:33 AM

I have talked live to a ML representative which told me how to get inside the box. I'll let you know how it went.

buggers 5th June 2010 07:10 PM

Switch out the speaker with another one, to be sure it is in fact the speaker, and not the amp.

whats gan on 11th June 2010 08:34 AM

hi i have just repaired my martin logan aeruis i, i bought conductive coating from esr audio, what you need to to do with a knife be care full cut away at the sticky stuff at the top, and bottom, of the panel it is really easy. what you do next is get some distiled water and clean the panel until all the dirt comes off while you are waiting for the coating by post, then you mix the conductive coating with distiled water the type you put in car battery when it comes