Martin Logan SL3 = dead => help - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2012, 08:35 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john65b View Post
Hey all, I have just acquired some old CLS Panels, and have built a bais and power supply - a hybrid from Jazzman's site and Mark Rehorst's site. A 20VDC Laptop power Supply to a LM317 Voltage regulator to a Emco DC50 DC to HVDC converter to get the 5KV Bias (a la Rehorst). Works great. The Audio Transformer is a pair of 120V - 6V transformers (Antek AN-1206, a la Jazzman).

My panels are low output and a bit distorted. My plan is to open the panels and clean / recoat them. I hope that the mylar is intact and still glued all around.
I'm anxious to hear your impressions of how they sound once you get the panels refurb'd. I've only tried the smaller AN-506 Antek's driving hybrid panels above 200 hz with very close d/s spacing and 48db/oct crossover cutoff. The larger [100VA] AS-1206's should perform much better-- still, I'm thinking the d/s spacing would be wider on full range CLS panels, so I'm wondering if the 75:1 step-up you'd get from a pair of those Anteks would be sufficient for decent output with the greater d/s spacing. If you don't get the efficiency you want after the panel refurb, you might try wiring up four of those Anteks (all inputs parallel and outputs in series), which would double the step-up ratio. BTW, when you take those panels apart for refurb, I would like to know the d/s spacing if you can measure it. Good luck with your project!

Last edited by CharlieM; 28th January 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 28th January 2012, 09:17 PM   #32
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

I want to try the panels at 200Hz and higher before I tear into them. The transformers may be overwhelmed by driving them full range, causing the distortion. As Bolserst indicated, these AN-1206 transformers cannot drive the panels full range. The distortion could be due to these trannies saturating, and if left to run 200hz and higher, they may play fine, with no distortion, and plenty loud.

Last edited by john65b; 28th January 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 28th January 2012, 09:31 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john65b View Post
I want to try the panels at 200Hz and higher before I tear into them. The transformers may be overwhelmed by driving them full range, causing the distortion. As Bolserst indicated, these AN-1206 transformers cannot drive the panels full range. The distortion could be due to these trannies saturating, and if left to run 200hz and higher, they may play fine, with no distortion, and plenty loud.
Even wired for full range, they should sound good at low volume (below saturation)-- if they don't, that would suggest other problems-- like a deteriorated diaphragm coating or loose diaphragm tension or a leak path draining charge of the diaphragm.
Old 28th January 2012, 09:45 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Yes, that is what I am thinking.

A loose tensioned / ripped diaphragm has me a bit worried...
Old 28th January 2012, 11:21 PM   #35
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

I have opened a lot of Ml panels. If you open the cls panels you well need to redo the mylar...never new any one that got a cls panel open without a rip...even the 12" wide rip if your not real caful...the new panels like the Ascent up the line are diff..you can pop them open eze..i have some pic posted of 12"panels..you mit have seen....have you washed the panels this can help with dust...this is the frist thing i do when i get a pr....the only reason that panels die is the bias feeds only on one side..i run new feeds up the left an right sides of the panel, this give 2-3 more out put pr panel...goodluck
Old 29th January 2012, 12:08 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

CLS posts in CLS thread, please?
Old 29th January 2012, 12:10 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Is there anyway to apply the coating through the stator without removing it? Swirl it around the diaphragm?

I will start a new thread - thanks
Old 29th January 2012, 12:13 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Just continue in your own CLS thread, John? Either way, it's all inter-related...
Old 29th January 2012, 08:23 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Too many threads is confusing......
Old 29th January 2012, 12:54 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

I will stay on my current CLS Thread. When I saw Per Anders discuss opening his Martin Logan Panels to correct his diaphragm, I jumped in - sorry.

I will watch this thread for further progress.

Martin Logan CLS Power Supply

Hide this!Advertise here!