Adjustable frame thoughts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to come up with a good design for some adjustable Acoustat frames which I will use to determine the best panel angles for my room. If I can get this sorted properly I will then build real frames using the angles determined to sound best by the adjustable frames. Any thoughts on effective ways to do this?

Newframes.jpg

I posted a similar thouht, only using a "lazy susan", its the same thing on a bar stool, supports alot of weight, new ones take effort to turn, whicj=h is good as they will not rattle, found them at lowes for 10 bucks.

Attachments

• lazy susan.jpg
    lazy susan.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 137
curious

i see what you mean now, not just one left to right but multipole angles. Piano henges do make sence.
so you are using four panels per side, correct? and you want a way to move them indepedantly but keep a solid foundation for mounting them, am i any where near your idea?

I just toolk a better look, your panels are 9" wide, those lazy susan mounts are or can be found 4" square, just like the pic. please correct me if i am wrong, but this seems to far easier to build and buy, other wise, how will you support the weight bending and moving? If one falls they all fall on hinges.
Dont know, curious.

Thanks, guys. This project is simply to determine the best angles for my room, after which the adjustable frames will get stored and a set of real frames will be built from the angles gleaned from the adjustable frame.

The lazy susan is an interesting idea but since ideally I'd like to have the ability to move them forward and back, I'm not sure if that will work. I guess the LS could sit in a routed groove to allow front to back movement. I have also been wondering if it's possible to put some thin, hard, grippy rubber or something like that on the bottom of the individual panel frames and some sort of cam device at the top to lock them in. Don't know if that would provide enough rigidity, though. Or some small, locking swivel casters. Even considering strong velcro. :)

Ultimately, I'm more focused on having the panels be easy to adjust; that is to say I'd rather spend more time & effort on getting the frames right initially if it means getting down to listening to the results and trying new angles becomes quick & easy.

Hip replacement, then new job derailed my build, but I'm getting back into this. I'm thinking about mounting each panel to vertical hardwood 1x2s on the back, then finding a way to house them within a perimeter frame that will allow the panels to be moved around. Maybe just use shims to wedge them into place to test the angles. Any ideas?

I am glad to see you back,Mike!
I hope everything is well and will be looking foward to the result of your new frames.
I am getting ready to embark on some new 4 foot long drivers soon myself.
They will have a 4" to 5.5" wide diagphrams as to just target the midrange and on up.

I am quite happy with my woofer system as it stands right now.
I have done quite alot since the last time I had talked to you but it seems to be a never ending process ! He,he

Good Luck !!! jer :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.