Stator size/frequency range - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2010, 11:34 AM   #11
bentl is offline bentl  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I tested graphite coating and it did not become a conductive layer as I hoped for.

Well there is plnty of other coatings to try - and conductive foils! Copper, solver, alu.

Regards,

Bent
Old 2nd May 2010, 01:53 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hi,

golden spray paint tested - no good!

Any suggestons on products from 3M, Chesterton or other internationally available brands that could be used for creating a conductive layer on my plastic stators?

Regards,
Bent
Old 2nd May 2010, 03:02 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentl View Post
Hi,

golden spray paint tested - no good!

Any suggestons on products from 3M, Chesterton or other internationally available brands that could be used for creating a conductive layer on my plastic stators?

Regards,
Bent
3M? Electrically Conductive Adhesive Transfer Tapes
Alex
Old 2nd May 2010, 03:39 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Try this company Plating Kits Electroplating Kits Aluminum Anodizing Kits Powder Coating Systems Metal Polishing And Buffing Supplies - Caswell Inc.
They do have what you are looking for ,but I'm not sure about shipping,check with them to find out,also M.G.Chemicals comes to mind.
I used aluminium foil tape on this project with great results Material for ESL

I once tried copper plating rubber cement coated with graphite wifh okay results.
which brings me wanting to try that again but by using one of my licron products as a base,I will try this sometime in the furture.
Also try some electron microscope supply companies you will find some really neat stuff there,thats were I found my super thin .06mil mylar.
If you do a search on conductive coatings you will find alot,I once find a company that had different grades of spray on graphite (and other metals) that ranged from 10ohm or less to as high as 100kohm to 1meg ohms or so that I was considering for a ribbon speaker project.
If I can think of or find anything else on my travels I will post it for you. jer
Old 2nd May 2010, 04:43 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I know that Quad uses some kind of graphite coating on the outside of the
stators, sprayed in form if conductive rings. It seems to be the same
spray used on the membranes, but here it is strongly diluted.
Old 2nd May 2010, 06:15 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I think I have an idea here!

I will spray the acrylic plates with spray glue, and stick a layer of regular household alu foil on it.

Then a layer of 3M protective plastic foil for insulation. That should take care of both the electrical conductivity and the insulation.

I will route the holes after applying the alu foil and 3M plastic. (Or; my girlfriend will - and she's not happy about routing all the holes - but she loves me ;-)

I also have alu foil tape, but it is only 50mm wide so it will take 3,4 stripes to cover the "active" area of the stator.

Regards,
Bent
Old 2nd May 2010, 06:50 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I covered the aluminium with clear packing tape.
Then I used sodium hydroxide (lye)to etch the holes from the back side.
I then carefully removed the packing tape tape and coated it with clear acrylic except for the connection spots.
It seems that the plastic tape would get bound up in the machining bit ?jer
Old 2nd May 2010, 07:00 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldfryjr View Post
...It seems that the plastic tape would get bound up in the machining bit ?jer
Hi,

Im not worried about that - normally all plastic is routed WITH a protective film on it - and it is only removed before assembly or bending. Stock sheets are supplied with protective film on both sides)

But it seems I will have to route the stators first and the apply the alu and protection; the router has a vacuum table and small piezes does tend to move especially if they are full of holes.

So I may have to cut 1500 holes it the alu and protection with a scalpel..
Old 2nd May 2010, 07:17 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

the echting technique worked good except that if the glue backing saluated to much around the edges it lifted the foil while trying to remove the clear tape ,this happened on one panel but I was able to save it.
May be you can route it with the foils already attached?
might this give a cleaner result? jer
Old 2nd May 2010, 07:58 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentl View Post
Hi,

Im not worried about that - normally all plastic is routed WITH a protective film on it - and it is only removed before assembly or bending. Stock sheets are supplied with protective film on both sides)

But it seems I will have to route the stators first and the apply the alu and protection; the router has a vacuum table and small piezes does tend to move especially if they are full of holes.

So I may have to cut 1500 holes it the alu and protection with a scalpel..
Companies that do those big posters on the road sides will carve any outline on self-adhesive plastic film for you - laser... All you need then is to apply the film (or better say stencil) to your panel to be
Alex

Hide this!Advertise here!