anyone here tried to make a panel speaker/dipole tweeter with PVDF films?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive searched and only found one reference to PVDF here, but for use in an Ultrasonic app. From what i read it isnt as new as the polymer prices would have you believe, and more than likely its all been done before.

however, It does interest me alot, tbh ever since Audax DIY stuff disappeared, and with it went the piezo bubble tweeter. Granted most lost pressure and eventually died, but still, what an inspired idea!

Id love to get a hold of some PVDF and make a small dipole mid/tweeter, maybe a heil effect pleated affair would even work.

ANyone out there with experience to share, or comments to make on this?

:note:

I believe this is what the highly regarded Gallo speakers are using.

I played with piezo film samples that were available in the 80s and managed to generate sound, but I was in serious "newbie" mode so the experiments didn't go very far. I do believe, though, that diy PVDF tweaters are a very viable alternative to more popular approaches.
Few

there is a very old JAES article on pvdf tweeters

as I recall it is necessary to curve the membrane and add a springy backing to convert the transverse piezo motion into relatively linear motion and sound output

thickness mode is hopeless for the small deflection and would require a large bias V to linearize and avoid frequency doubling

there are new copolymer films which can be made to exhibit "giant electrostriction" which gives much larger displacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.