Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th March 2010, 12:21 PM   #71
mavric is offline mavric  United States
diyAudio Member

no, just one. i guess its the perks of doing car audio for a living. we average around 50 installs a week per customer, not one install per customer, changing out everything in their vehichle, and alot dont want what they used to have, so free bi's from time to time.
Old 12th March 2010, 12:23 AM   #72
diyAudio Member

Default Hey Mav

http://www.quarter-wave.com/TLs/Advanced_Models.pdf
Above link is the only way I could get the info to you.
Your earlier post asking about driver in larger end of t-line is correct because loading it into the smaller end going to larger end is a HORN... totally different animal! LOL

BUT, the main point I was trying to get across is to have the driver mounted 1/4 to 1/3 down the line instead of at the very beginning, this way it is much easier to tame the ripples in the frequency response when it comes time to do the stuffing. Your enclosure cuts that you already have will allow you to do 1/4 but not 1/3, but that's OK as 1/4 should do it.

All you would have to do is reverse the dividers that make up your line, and that would put the driver about 1/4 way down the line since you have 4 separate "lines" folded into that enclosure of yours.

I'd be glad to talk to you via phone to explain this further, because I am terrible at typing in these posts and keeping everything focused, as there are about 20 different REASONS why I am promoting this way of completing your TL, but that's up to you bro.

Cheers, Steve

PS If you read this article I linked to, don't worry too much about all the math and such, just get the general concept of it and look at the graphs.
Old 12th March 2010, 12:26 AM   #73
diyAudio Member

steve, check PM in a moment, Mav
Old 12th March 2010, 01:01 AM   #74
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquisonic View Post
Your earlier post asking about driver in larger end of t-line is correct because loading it into the smaller end going to larger end is a HORN... totally different animal! LOL

BUT, the main point I was trying to get across is to have the driver mounted 1/4 to 1/3 down the line instead of at the very beginning, this way it is much easier to tame the ripples in the frequency response when it comes time to do the stuffing. Your enclosure cuts that you already have will allow you to do 1/4 but not 1/3, but that's OK as 1/4 should do it.

All you would have to do is reverse the dividers that make up your line, and that would put the driver about 1/4 way down the line since you have 4 separate "lines" folded into that enclosure of yours.

I'd be glad to talk to you via phone to explain this further, because I am terrible at typing in these posts and keeping everything focused, as there are about 20 different REASONS why I am promoting this way of completing your TL, but that's up to you bro.

Cheers, Steve

PS If you read this article I linked to, don't worry too much about all the math and such, just get the general concept of it and look at the graphs.
Great idea!
Mav,
As you know, your box was copied from a similar box and drawn up on the fly in about 10 minutes with practically no forethought. I had a look see at Martin J. King's TL calculator and the math is beyond me but his ideas on driver placement are clear and compelling. I think you should go with Liquisonic's suggestion.
Old 12th March 2010, 01:11 AM   #75
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Cheers, Steve

Great idea!
Mav,
As you know, your box was copied from a similar box and drawn up on the fly in about 10 minutes with practically no forethought. I had a look see at Martin J. King's TL calculator and the math is beyond me but his ideas on driver placement are clear and compelling. I think you should go with Liquisonic's suggestion.
Old 12th March 2010, 01:28 AM   #76
diyAudio Member

here is some old suff that i have, as soon as i can i will post more detailed pics, just an idea for using something i have for surround sound with my stats.
On another note, my back up sub amp decided to start smoking(not my Adcom) just a back up, i guess it learned the hard way. i can make it work, but it puts dc offset the moment i turn it on. it was a free bi, find another sometime.
i think i posted my living space, the whole thing will change. TV centered, not in the corner. the sheir size of these will probally go from feft to right and shift seating backwards, cant wait!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3120224.jpg (328.4 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg P3120229.jpg (612.4 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg P3120230.jpg (352.0 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg P3120231.jpg (628.3 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg P3120232.jpg (409.2 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg P3120237.jpg (310.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg P3120240.jpg (425.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg P3120245.jpg (604.4 KB, 56 views)
Old 12th March 2010, 01:44 AM   #77
diyAudio Member

Thanks Charlie, that was redone very quick, you and CAD seem to get along very well! so just reverse the lines, router all shelf pieces, so it as smooth as it can be, 1/2lbs per cu.ft. stuffing, and i still need to post pics of the terminal cups.
day light will be brighter next week, should make some REAL progress now. Everything is here, its just dang dark outside.
Charlie, if you catch this, i am going to get some "iso" dont ask what that means, from the shop, it is the liquid super glue used in the mix for rhino. might go ahead and get both, its a 2 to 1 ratio, and can probally be used without the pressure. otherwise, will fall back on primer, and get where i need to quicker, i can test the other parts later. you still have not posted what you thought about the sample i brought you, the one all bent up and banged around, tossed in my trunk, and i could still flatten it out. thats what i need to know as well.
Let me say thank you for everyones suggestions, Liquidsonic, Gerald, Charlie, all of you.

sincerely glad you took the time. Mavric
Old 13th March 2010, 02:45 AM   #78
diyAudio Member

Building this weekend, use Liqidsonic's advice on the enclosure. I will post pics as soon as i can, watching PAC MAN boxxing Saturday night. weird clieche, after the boxing match, the next day, Sunday, build the TL. I hope you guys are right as i will try it out.
Thanks in advance, i know you guys are right.
Old 13th March 2010, 03:59 AM   #79
diyAudio Member

Default Mav

"I hope you guys are right" umm... uh oh, better explain myself here.

Nathan, you DO know that using a TL is an attempt to"match up" with the "smooth" response of the ESL, don't you?

A TL can go very low in the bass octaves, but is by no means a "sub" ie. thump, punch, bump, etc. as it will reproduce none of these characteristics, in fact, a "sub" will sound great paired with regular (dynamic) speakers, but along with numerous others that own/listen to planers, these "subs" will stick out like a turd in a punch bowl! LOL

A TL on the other hand will sound like it is merely "present", providing support for the bass deficiencies inherent in an ESL or other planars.

Charlie, are you hearing me? You, as a jazzman, should be able to back me up with these points eh?

Enough typing for now, but Mav, if the bass from the 8" drivers don't provide the "weight" you desire, you may just have to opt for the 10" in short order.

Hope this makes sense to you all.

Cheers, Steve
Old 13th March 2010, 11:13 AM   #80
diyAudio Member

Quote:
"I hope you guys are right" umm... uh oh, better explain myself here.

Nathan, you DO know that using a TL is an attempt to"match up" with the "smooth" response of the ESL, don't you?

A TL can go very low in the bass octaves, but is by no means a "sub" ie. thump, punch, bump, etc. as it will reproduce none of these characteristics, in fact, a "sub" will sound great paired with regular (dynamic) speakers, but along with numerous others that own/listen to planers, these "subs" will stick out like a turd in a punch bowl! LOL

A TL on the other hand will sound like it is merely "present", providing support for the bass deficiencies inherent in an ESL or other planars.

Charlie, are you hearing me? You, as a jazzman, should be able to back me up with these points eh?

Enough typing for now, but Mav, if the bass from the 8" drivers don't provide the "weight" you desire, you may just have to opt for the 10" in short order.

Hope this makes sense to you all.

Cheers, Steve
Definitely the typical "sub" is too slow and clunky to fill the gap all the way up to where the electrostat takes over and it wouldn't be wise to lower the crossover point to meet it either. For this I prefer a really good 10" mid-bass woofer with clean response up to 2khz, crossed over above 250 hz to mitigate the stats dipole cancellation, as I used in my hybrids-- but Mav is doing this on a budget and he had those 8" carbon freebees lying around, which (even though we don't know their TS specs) will no doubt match up with the stats way-better than the powered subs he was contemplating earlier. In a perfect world, we'd all buy exactly what we want but the mortgage comes first and sometimes a compromise is necessary.

Mav, if you feel the need to upgrade to 10's, I could make you a great deal on those gorgeous Aurum Cantus MkII's you heard in my speakers :-)

Hide this!Advertise here!