different ideas for ESL panels - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2010, 07:50 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

yes i do get some vent noise,but only at extreme excursions and is not too noticable.
when i built them i was shootin for .75 cu ft but screwed up the dimensions of the side panels and that cost me some volume for the port volume.the inside volume is .679 cu ft and with the speaker and port it is some where between .60 to .65 cu ft.
that drasticaly changed my port length for my target frequency of 28hz to 30hz as i wanted a 3" port diameter.so then the next best was 2.5" pvc as i couldn't find any 3.5" or 3" pvc.then i discovered that a pringles chip can was the perfect diameter but was too short by about 2 to 3 inches.
This being a sub for my 1984 f-body car, it had to be sturdy and cobbling very thin walled cardboard tube with tape was out of the question.so then, i also could not find any thin wall 2.5" pvc,so this cost me a .5" in diameter.which is quite significant as you know.
so my port ended up 2" diameter and 13.5" in length for my target of 29.5 hz or there abouts. it was the first sub i have ever delt with and i am very amazed at the extreme lows and never expected so much performance out of a 8" speaker. jer
Old 10th March 2010, 02:45 AM   #62
mavric is offline mavric  United States
diyAudio Member

please take a closer look at this TL, notice the distance between the vent, or shelf board spacing, from smaller to larger as the chamber lenghthens, \ \

>14"
>14.125"
>14.250"
>14.375"

a little asymetric, howver, it will load up the diver in a small enclosure and unload progressive to the end. Tuning is aprox, 32-35hz @ vent. not including that these enclosres will be "corner loaded" back firing against the corner in the living room. thats why i like this as well
i can allways cut off a little of the back to raise tuning to compensate for corner loading the enclosure. as well as the TL being removable, one sub may work fine, on the other hand, two may perfect being bi-amp,
so far, no one has posted any suggestions other than my two friends, whom have taken this progect to a new level. so please. over 1'000 views and no responce per week? here is another pic for a better discription.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3080197.jpg (346.9 KB, 296 views)
Old 10th March 2010, 03:22 AM   #63
diyAudio Member

posting pics of the sub/mid- bass driver later, very low Q' , listen in for more new pics, gotta work.
please if you are reading, take some time and post your thoughts. Thanks, Mavric.

Simper fi
Old 10th March 2010, 10:33 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

Default Hi Mav

Quick question before I post something you might want to consider, is that TL box glued up yet?

Steve
Old 10th March 2010, 11:50 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

no not yet, do you have another idea?
Old 11th March 2010, 01:18 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

Got a free bi today. the specs and maufacture will be in the photos. It was free and i may use it along with my stats, or sell it. Enclosure suggestions please. I allready have an amp for this thing. this is the cheapest brand sold here in south east Georgia, howver, this one might be old and better, there is a three inch coil, and the rms specs i found have never ever been true, a good 400-500 rms amp, which i also have. thinking around 4.5 cu.ft. bigger, more efficient, like a said, this is a free bi. here are the pics. thanks Mav

oh yea. single 4 ohm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3110216.jpg (388.1 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg P3110217.jpg (533.1 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg P3110218.jpg (304.3 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg P3110219.jpg (575.5 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg P3110220.jpg (266.9 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by mavric; 11th March 2010 at 01:24 AM.
Old 11th March 2010, 02:12 AM   #67
diyAudio Member

Default Don't mean to complicate things, but...

Hey Mav, take a look at this paper done by Martin King, especially the part about mounting the driver further down the line. Hopes this helps and not hurts, all the best bro

Cheers, Steve

Mav, this page won't load, I'll get you the link tomorrow/ very important
Old 11th March 2010, 02:24 AM   #68
diyAudio Member

so just reverse the enclosure? load into a large and discharge into smaller, correct? I will wait and look for the link. thank you Steve.
Old 11th March 2010, 03:07 AM   #69
diyAudio Member

hi mav,i copied down the specs and i'll throw them in to winlsd and see what i come up with. looks like an awsome sub!do you have two of them? jer
Old 11th March 2010, 03:14 AM   #70
diyAudio Member

Steve, i looked at the entire site, the only thing i could find close to what i am doing is just having the vent/sub on the same plane. I am open for suggestions, but i chose this as the panales are di-pole or by-pole, either way, i can switch up my sub from 108 degree to zero, same plane is what I have allways used in my car audio bussiness. this is so different, since this is push pull, i can dial in with my cross over to achieve better dispresion as these will be in a large vaulted room, corner loading the subs vent.
if you pics of the area, let me know. thanks for the interest, this is my first ESL, i do not cut any corners.

Hide this!Advertise here!