Understanding Air Motion Transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not sure how to apply adiabatic or isothermal compression due to the boundary conditions. We might reach further resolution by defining the state of the flow, whether it be compressible or incompressible.

If we wished to model compressible flow, we'd have to do a direct numerical simulation of the Navier-Stokes equations (massive computational requirements). However, I'm not sure how valuable such an analysis would be. If we admit compressible flow, we'd be assuming significant non-linearity as the speed of sound will vary throughout the volume due to the pressure gradients.

I believe the optimum design would restrict the state space to incompressible flow, where the velocity of the flow is insignificant with respect to the speed of sound.

We might reach further resolution on the state of the flow by defining the Reynolds number (ratio of viscous to inertial forces). I believe a Reynolds number <2000 would be desirable. However, I am having difficulty defining the hydraulic radius and the velocity of the fluid since the duct geometry varies with displacement of the membrane.

Wikipedia suggests that incompressible can be assumed if the Mach number is below 0.3. However, Wikipedia is often erroneous. Can anybody offer further insight on this?

With regards to the total system, we might reach further resolution by normalizing the objectives.

If the structure is allowed to cover the front and rear apertures, the induction may be very uniform throughout the volume. We might achieve maximum coherence in the membrane response. However, we may admit a compromise in the state of the flow.

If the apertures are unrestricted, we will minimize the Reynolds number and maximum the upper output limit. For a given surface area, there will be an upper limit for output related to the transition from incompressible to compressible flow and transition from laminar to turbulent flow. However, the induction may vary significantly throughout the volume and we may admit a compromise in the coherence of the membrane response.

Any thoughts?

I'm not sure how to apply adiabatic or isothermal compression due to the boundary conditions. We might reach further resolution by defining the state of the flow, whether it be compressible or incompressible.

If we wished to model compressible flow, we'd have to do a direct numerical simulation of the Navier-Stokes equations (massive computational requirements). However, I'm not sure how valuable such an analysis would be. If we admit compressible flow, we'd be assuming significant non-linearity as the speed of sound will vary throughout the volume due to the pressure gradients.

I believe the optimum design would restrict the state space to incompressible flow, where the velocity of the flow is insignificant with respect to the speed of sound.

We might reach further resolution on the state of the flow by defining the Reynolds number (ratio of viscous to inertial forces). I believe a Reynolds number <2000 would be desirable. However, I am having difficulty defining the hydraulic radius and the velocity of the fluid since the duct geometry varies with displacement of the membrane.

Wikipedia suggests that incompressible can be assumed if the Mach number is below 0.3. However, Wikipedia is often erroneous. Can anybody offer further insight on this?

Hi, the best info my friend and I found for now is that the flow can be considered incompressible bellow 228 mi/h (102m/s) at 68 F (20C). I also have another source (Fundamentals of Hydro and Aeromechanics) wich states: The error introduced by the gas to be incompressible in the equation of continuity is 4% at speeds of about 300ft/sec and 1% at 160ft/sec.
Hope it helps.
Eric

Hi, the best info my friend and I found for now is that the flow can be considered incompressible bellow 228 mi/h (102m/s) at 68 F (20C). I also have another source (Fundamentals of Hydro and Aeromechanics) wich states: The error introduced by the gas to be incompressible in the equation of continuity is 4% at speeds of about 300ft/sec and 1% at 160ft/sec.
Hope it helps.
Eric

Interesting. Thanks:D

I'd be interested in building a prototype AMT. Motor construction would appear straightforward. However, I am having issues determining possible Membrane (film) and Conductor (foil) geometries. How can I determine if its possible to produce a given geometry? How can I determine what effect the geometry has on material wear (high cycle fatigue)? How can I determine if the membrane will support that geometry for a given length of time?

What techniques are used to produce the pleats? I have access to a large number of academic journals through my University, however I am not sure what keywords to use when searching. Could anybody offer further insight on this?

Thanks,
Thadman

Have users experimented with constant current sources?

What electrical impedance would be realistic for 100w current drive?

What electric / magnetic interactions should we attempt to quantify? I would assume the magnetic field produced by the conductor would tend to self cancel.

What mechanical / acoustic losses should we attempt to quantify?

If we wished to define the mechanical behavior of the system, could we define the volume as a helmholtz chamber and couple it to the membrane in series? In such a way, we might be able to apply the concept of adiabatic compression / expansion. If the volume was operated below the fundamental resonance could we treat it as a lumped mass?

How could we define the total mass / volume of the chamber? I assume it will couple to a mass of air beyond the mouth.

Could we define the area ratio (driven area / mouth area) as a transformer? In such a way, could we define the optimum bandwidth for a given set of parameters?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.