Trannies - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2010, 01:14 AM   #1
mavric is offline mavric  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Trannies

They should be here sometime this week.
Old 26th January 2010, 02:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Stators and bias powersupply is in the works, either buy one or make one, Charlie asked me point, if he should build his own. I am still learning so I had no comment, I think from the schematics, fairly easy to make. Any suggestions would be great,. Stators are getting powber coated as soon as they are cut to fit.
next month is my wife and I anniversary, 7 yrs. so buying and buildig might not happen as fast as I want to, especially progress and posting new and old ideas. sorry borat, if I hit a hard note with you. I do appologize.
with that said, a friend of mine has a TERM PRO spl test, I amyself have an Audio Source rta meter.
Wish me luck, two trannies, one bias power supply per planer, a big planer sort of.
Old 27th January 2010, 11:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

ok, look , i am sorry if i made anyone angry here, sorry. I guess I am getting the old hazing for posting things not everyone agrees with. We are all from different countries, states, so obviously our views might be different. sorry if I offended anyone.
on the other hand, my step up trannys just came in this evening, and tested the rhino today to check for thickness and consistacy, perfect. as far as being able to check for resistance, rather got busy at work and did not have the time. I will post perfect as soon as i can, no, i did not spray stators, practiced on a piece of steel with which i drilled small holes in to make sure there were no clogs, both front and back.
Old 28th January 2010, 01:54 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

็Hi Mavric,

To make an ESL is not that difficult. But to make it sound good and stable is quite difficult. Please take your time to plan everything well.

For me, I think stator insulation is one of the most critical things. I have tried a few methods and I eventually come to settle with powder coating. It is a little bit more expensive, but it's worth every penny.

Wachara C.
Old 29th January 2010, 01:54 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Wachara,
I dint know if you read the post about coating the panels with rhino lining, done a test a panel. checked for consistency, 10-12 mills, non metallic. this stuff is so stong, you need an inductor to remove it, you can grind some off if needed, but it was the holes that bothered me.
as i sprayed with a differnt mix chamber, perfect. I forget what we ahve to use to check thickness, but it bounces the distance through the rhino, hits metal and i have a thickness within .1000 mill. Since I do this at work, I found that it would less inexpensive, and be proud that this is something I did. And if all goes well, this might be an allternative to expensive coating, usd cost maybe 20.00 maybe if that nuch, and done in fifteen minutes after machine is prepped. so what do you think, these are my first ever stat build.
Old 29th January 2010, 02:46 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Mavric,

Give it a try then. Let us know how it performs.

Wachara C.
Old 29th January 2010, 02:57 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

10-4, post as soon as I can, honestly, this has to something to think about. the surface is so smooth and shiny, if it ever starts to fade due to UV light, there is a sollution for that as well. still non-conductive.
Charlie, if you read this, thinking of a little larger holes on the panel, not much, a just in case thing as i have to spray both sides and the holes might or maybe not be linear from top to bottom, only by .0125 mill. if that is no gig deal, then some spraying I will do!
Old 1st February 2010, 07:10 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

can you post a picture of your test peice? jer p.s. i know what you mean check the sanders thread im still waiting for a reply. it hurts to be ignored just because im new although im not new too any type of speaker and/or project.keep posting.
Old 1st February 2010, 09:43 AM   #9
godfrey is offline godfrey  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Erm .... was this thread split off from some other thread or something?
It sounds interesting but I'm missing the background / context.
Old 1st February 2010, 10:51 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey View Post
Erm .... was this thread split off from some other thread or something?
It sounds interesting but I'm missing the background / context.
Well, when I saw the title "Trannies" under "Exotics" on the forum list, I was wondering if I had arrived at the correct website at all!

Cheers!

Hide this!Advertise here!