diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Planars & Exotics (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/)
-   -   Material for ESL (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/158115-material-esl.html)

mavric 7th January 2010 03:00 AM

Material for ESL

Can i use window tint film by LLumar? It can shrink and I can get it in different thickness. 35%shade is real thin as 5% is thick, non metalic of course, just want some input as this might save some money on the project and maybe help eveyone as it is window tint, ( not clear, allready has a good look) please let me know, I am currently readind Mark Rehorst book and thought this would work. Mavric

audioaction 7th January 2010 06:11 AM

How thick is the tint ? If cheap is the issue then i dont think esl would be a good application. You can get enough mylar from McMaster Carr for an entire esl pair for $10-15 USD. But if you going for a look other than clear it might be cool. Have you ever tried measuring the resistance of said window tint. I'm not sure how the window tint process works, but i wonder if you could get away without doing any diaphragm coating if thats the case. Anyways that my two bit hopefully it made some kinda sense, sry just spent 6 hrs on a flight next to a baby crying bloody murder the entire way.:ill:

CharlieM 7th January 2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mavric (Post 2037964)
Can i use window tint film by LLumar? It can shrink and I can get it in different thickness. 35%shade is real thin as 5% is thick, non metalic of course, just want some input as this might save some money on the project and maybe help eveyone as it is window tint, ( not clear, allready has a good look) please let me know, I am currently readind Mark Rehorst book and thought this would work. Mavric

You can use the .0005" film from McMaster Carr or, if you can drive to Savannah, I will give you enough 12 micron polyester film (just under .0005") to make a couple of panels.

CharlieM 7th January 2010 08:46 AM

Forgot to mention: I have some coating solution too.

mavric 16th January 2010 01:04 AM

Question and post

Charlie, I will make the drive as soon as I have time from work, window tint is not looking well, I would rather take advice as you have done this and everyone else on this forum.
If I can make it down there, what materials should I bring? MDF? router, Let me know, and by the way, I am still trying to find your post on idea and fundementals of an ESL. Need to read some more.

CharlieM 16th January 2010 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mavric (Post 2049475)
If I can make it down there, what materials should I bring? MDF? router, Let me know, and by the way, I am still trying to find your post on idea and fundementals of an ESL. Need to read some more.

I hope you're bringing a simpler cabinet design concept than what I used, otherwise you might as well pack your bags and move in because you won't finish cabinets like mine over a weekend (or two, or three). Seriously, drop in for a listen when you can get away and we can draw up a design for you and plan from there. I will PM you with more details.

Here's a link to my blog page:
The Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Blog

mavric 17th January 2010 02:44 AM

I am going as suggested, window tint will not work, have not tried, but it was a though as it allmost the same material. McMaster is obvious, otherwise someone else would have tried a different material.
Hopefully starting my build tomorrow, I know it takes time and I wish everyone would share their comments. Kindly look and and give me some feed back, this is not a cheap adveture. So, with some help, I would like to get it right the first time. No one has helped me more than Charlie, so thank you.

geraldfryjr 19th January 2010 03:47 AM

you never know unless you try it.i was going to once and had bought some but it was thicker than what i already have.but it is alot wider than what i already have (1 ft)and might be a good canidate for some kind of bass only panel.something i might try sometime at a later date

mavric 19th January 2010 04:28 AM

Please look at my last post on same forum, window tint is out, I believe it is conductive, as I am learning, I am either getting smarter or dumber, that is why I posted about Charli's ESL. I heard them and spent hours just listening, I will probally not post on this as I have learned a few more things. Sincerly.

SY 19th January 2010 09:19 AM

Has anyone tried the film sold for model airplanes?

example:

Model Research Lab