Material for ESL - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2010, 01:04 AM   #191
diyAudio Member

the edge pics look good also as long as there aren't any sharp burs protruding and sticking out, causeing a thin a spot in the coating your good to go. jer
Old 24th February 2010, 03:10 AM   #192
mavric is offline mavric  United States
diyAudio Member

the handy work is Charlie, a nice plunge router and there you go, makes one heck of a mess, never heard him cuss so much, all good times!!! toomorow, hopefully, try the sprayed panels!! customer came in, needs the truck bed sprayed! so i will take pics and post
> test #1 rhino @ 180 F" @ 2000 psi @ 3 feet, or metric. this will be neat.
later, look forward to any coments.
just have to thank Charlie and Ger, as no one else has posted more helpful advice and just good advice, much appreciated. Mav
Old 24th February 2010, 03:30 AM   #193
diyAudio Member

Hi Mavric,

Looks like everything is going well for you. More pictures please!

Wachara C.
Old 24th February 2010, 10:48 PM   #194
diyAudio Member

IT WORKED IT WORKED!!!!!!! check oout the pics, rhino'ed a test panel today, finally, 16.1 mill consistantly +-.5 mill on 40" 51% open area stator. no clogs, perfect. I can now spray my panels and be finished with this obstacle and it wont cost me a dime. its flexable, bent one end in half, no cracks or tears. check it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2250131.jpg (231.7 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg P2250132.jpg (339.6 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg P2250133.jpg (390.0 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg P2250134.jpg (380.7 KB, 131 views)
Old 24th February 2010, 11:03 PM   #195
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavric View Post
IT WORKED IT WORKED!!!!!!! check oout the pics, rhino'ed a test panel today, finally, 16.1 mill consistantly +-.5 mill on 40" 51% open area stator. no clogs, perfect. I can now spray my panels and be finished with this obstacle and it wont cost me a dime. its flexable, bent one end in half, no cracks or tears. check it out.
Hey, it looks OK. If you like it, I like it. Did you hang them up to spray them? I hung mine with weights attached so they wouldn't swing while I sprayed them. I would not go any thicker, though.
Old 24th February 2010, 11:05 PM   #196
diyAudio Member

Try doing this with powder coating. This might be a good idea for you guys making curved panels as well. check it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2250135.jpg (826.4 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg P2250136.jpg (868.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 24th February 2010, 11:34 PM   #197
diyAudio Member

no i did not hang it, it was the first test, so i just propped it against something and shot it, some of what you see is over spray as we had a long bed truck at the time that was getting done too. thats why there are "speckles" and probally why the thickness was a little more on the holes, that stuff sticks to anything. i wish i could video, but i have to wear a haz mat suit, gloves, face mask and all, and dont wanna mess up my camera. I still have three more test pieces, then i will bring them to you, Mr. Charlie. I wish i post a high res here, but the rules are rules and i do not wish to break them.
that was sprayed about six feet away, i put a marker on the floor and will see what five feet looks like, and so on. the machine was set @ 2250psi, so closer might be better, as the material will blast right through the stator and give a better result. i have been waiting for this and now another try as soon as i can.
so, i have it written down, one spray pass @ 6' and it looks nice, gonna try and do better next time.
on another note, i can only measure the outside or surface, i do not know how much it effected the hole diameter, but it looks consistant.
another thing, now both sides are smooth, does that make a diffence? it is hard to tell the punched side from the back flat side. its just the surface is so smooth, which i figured would also benifit should the diagphram come in contact.
resonace, i used a quarter and tapped it, it pinged. now you can throw it on concrete and it does not make a sound, it bounced without pinging or any noise for that matter.
thats it, for now.
Old 25th February 2010, 01:35 AM   #198
diyAudio Member

looks great mav! it looks like it is thick enough.did you get a chance to measure it? jer

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 25th February 2010 at 01:38 AM.
Old 25th February 2010, 01:51 AM   #199
diyAudio Member

read the three or third post from this one.
Old 23rd March 2010, 03:49 PM   #200
srinath is offline srinath  United States
diyAudio Member

Apparently there is this thing called aerogel. Its supposedly lighter than air.
I love mylar, it is super strong. Wine boxes have a baggie inside of them made of mylar, 2 very thin layers of it. Inflate it but blowing into the tap (when empty of course) and you can stand on it and it wont blow.
You also can clean one out with hot water (pulling on the tap makes it come off) and fold and carry one in your backpack. Now if you're a biker, you run out of gas, you can just walk to the gas stattion, get a gallon in it, fill up and ride on. No need to push the bike there.

Cool.
Srinath.

Hide this!Advertise here!