Material for ESL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Calvin, can you kindly post a pick please asap, thats is rhino lining on my panels, i hope you did not pay much for that, i really want to see it.
> was their machine low preasure or high?
> ours is 2000+ psi @ 180 ferinheight.
> Charlie still has a sample at his home, ask him what he thinks about it. It can be smooth but sample caought a little over spray mist.
i want to see the disaster.

Mavric

Calvin, can you kindly post a pick please asap, thats is rhino lining on my panels, i hope you did not pay much for that, i really want to see it.
> was their machine low preasure or high?
> ours is 2000+ psi @ 180 ferinheight.
> Charlie still has a sample at his home, ask him what he thinks about it. It can be smooth but sample caought a little over spray mist.
i want to see the disaster.

Mavric

Mavric,
Just so we don't get confused, maybe you should clarify which coating you are referring to as "Rhrino lining". The thick, black, rough looking coating you sprayed on some test pieces at your workplace is what I think of when you say "Rhino lining" --- not the gray coating I sprayed on your panels. Did you tell me that the 2-part gray polyurethane on your panels is a "primer" that's sometimes used under Rhrino lining? In any case, the gray stuff looks a heck of a lot smoother than what you sprayed the test pieces with.

Mavric,
Just so we don't get confused, maybe you should clarify which coating you are referring to as "Rhrino lining". The thick, black, rough looking coating you sprayed on some test pieces at your workplace is what I think of when you say "Rhino lining" --- not the gray coating I sprayed on your panels. Did you tell me that the 2-part gray polyurethane on your panels is a "primer" that's sometimes used under Rhrino lining? In any case, the gray stuff looks a heck of a lot smoother than what you sprayed the test pieces with.

thats true, but rhino has a low and high pressure setup, if Calvin got low pressure coating, then it will be aweful, ugly and clog every hole. so to clarify, we used the primer coating(two part), thats why i want to see the pics of Calvins, i hate speculating, I can only go by the picture, then i will know what machine was used to coat his panels. What we used was supperb, perfect, evenly done. The piece I left at your home was coated evenly, from top to bottom, +or- a few mills, but even. .
the defect on the test sample was simple over spray, other wise it was very smooth and shiny.
This has me curious as there are differnt techniques on spraying, everything from the gun, pressure, the mix chamber in the gun, so many variables, so some pics, please, then i can answer what went wrong. :deer:

the contents are all from rhino lining, we used a spray gun for application, it is a primer coating. Thats the only way with that" specific" material.

Last edited:
Liqud nitogen

Calvin, pick up a bucket off that stuff, lay the panels on an elevated surface and dump the contents, the rhino will pop off and leave them as brand new without distorting the panels. easy, quick, cheap. Still wish you could find someone with a camera, picture= 1000 words.

wear gloves, recommended.
you obviously sent those to the wrong place, or did not provide enough information for your desered result. send them to me, they will be perfect.

For my setups, (close ds spacing and bias voltage around 2kv) I've had pretty good luck coating stators with 2-part polyurethane primer purchased from my local NAPA auto parts and I can spray it myself so I think I will stick with that.

For those who don't have access to a powder coater or spray equipment, I'm thinking it might be easier and cost less (than powder coat or Rhino coat) to just pay a local body shop to spray on some poly primer and overcoat with black or other color. Of course, you would need to specify to use mist coats with plenty of tack time between coats (so the paint doesn't run away from the edges as much), coat the edges well and apply about 14 mils on both sides.

thats the exact way you did mine, perfect. but you "specified" how to spray them.
I am digging a hole here and i want out. I agree with everyone on coating, evrything from the diaghphram to the stats, in one conclusion, i guess for some reason, mine work fine, using everything i posted. I have done nothing different or altered anything in any way.
running 16" by 40" panals
2 kv power supply
51 % open area
1/16 spacing
three coats of rhino primer
three coats poyeurothene
.0005 micron diagphram. thank you Charlie
Licron crystal coating, thank you Ger
A lot of satisfaction, priceless.

there will be mulitple post on a new thread, mostly pics and explanation. soon.

moderators...

you can put this post anywere you wish as this project is finished and hav posted three threads including this one. The last was just trying to keep it clean and to the point, i thank everyone for their help and consideration.
I wish more would show pictures, discribing something is difficult, not to mention if you have never heard or seen one of these, priceless. Mavric:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.