Cleaning Acoustat panels - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2009, 01:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Cleaning Acoustat panels

I have been given 4 Acoustat panels and 2 power supplies. Apparently the panels all work but before checking I want to clean them as they are dirty and dusty. The donor said someone had told him they could be washed in a shower??????

Any advice appreciated.

Happy new year,
sp
Old 31st December 2009, 02:12 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yes you can wash them in a shower or in the tub and I have done both. I would not however recommend that you do either. There are a number of issues foremost is that the panels are very old and just do not need the stress of a wash job. Use your vac with a soft brush attachment. This is the easiest and best way for you to clean them. Then if you want you can reshirink the diaphragms to bring them back to new tension. Please be carefull and keep your heat gun 6-8 inches off of the diaphragm and keep the gun moveing at all times or you will melt a hole in your diaphragm.
Water is not a very effective solvent to clean the kind of decades thick dirt stuck to those skins. Detergent will work but if it leaves a residue will be conductive to the frames degreaser is better or if the weather is fine use a paint thinner solvent like Varsol. Use a large mister bottle and mist fron the top down till things look clean. This won't touch any of the plastic or the diaphragm or the conductive coating.
Old 31st December 2009, 02:44 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks moray james, I will try the vacuum cleaner first.

sp
Old 31st December 2009, 03:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

After you get them clean do a 100% joint by joint inspection of every wire contact point to make sure that none have popped loose. You can rebond any loose wires with a fine wire from a twist tie to hold it in place and some solvent based styrene model cement glue (the citrus based cement also works). Then your panels will be as good as they can be.
Old 1st January 2010, 12:26 PM   #5
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

... the wires like to break off at the bottom and top... fwiw, gotta look very carefully to see it though...

Hide this!Advertise here!