Diy planarspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Security tape

Hi, This is jamesbos, I have built several full range planars. I use aluminium tape from CPC it is a security tape 9mm wide and 45 meters long. Already glued, and only a few pounds + Vat. I hope this helps! Regards Anthony.:confused:

Thanks for the idea.
Do you know how thick this tape is?I would prefer 10 microns or so,my current foil is 7microns or 0.007mm.How many meters do you use for a speaker ,and what is the resulting ressistance?
It is not easy to find as there are new methods to guard from burglers.

Regards.
Bernt "Båndsei"

båndsei,

I am very enamoured of your work, very professional, and clean.

I have translated your danish thread, and read all pages. I wish to pursue similar style of loudspeaker.

Have you looked at this:"The tall neodymium ribbon". Part 1

He uses mylar membrane, and suspends it between the magnets, I was curious to see if you had done anything similar, and what you thought.

I would love to see more details of how you mount your ribbons.

Thanks,
John
I have read this article,but i dont make ribbons any more.The ones i make now is plannars and the major difference is, that the magnets are behind the membrane insted beside, as in ribbons.
My new membranes are made from polyethylene film 0.0095mm. and alufoil 0.007mm.I have recently tryed mylarfilm,but i think it´s better with polyethylene.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Do you know how thick this tape is?I would prefer 10 microns or so,my current foil is 7microns or 0.007mm.

Hi, I looked at this tape, a while ago
They have other types, but thicker

Dabotek - Blød erhvervsmæssig alutape til tætning af samlinger og sømme af foliebelagte isoleringsmaterialer

If 0.02mm seems too heavy, maybe just make it less wide
But what attracts me is that they say its "soft tape"
But then, is just useless tape ?
Well, they do say "rawmaterial is common alu foil"

Exactly what I was thinking.

Hi, This is jamesbos, I have built several full range planars. I use aluminium tape from CPC it is a security tape 9mm wide and 45 meters long. Already glued, and only a few pounds + Vat. I hope this helps! Regards Anthony.:confused:

This was running through my mind when I read this. Brilliant my friend ... and it worked well ? We can get it with adhesive backing too I dunno if its an advantage or not. However I had another evil idea to add to this already insane thread.

Inside of a franzia box of wine, sorry not franzia, but vella and other makes of american wine there is a shiny bag. I am about sure its an aluminum coated mylar bag. The advantags there is that, the mylar makes it so tough ... you could inflate the bag to your full lung capacity and stand on it and not have it blow.
Cool.
Srinath.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
[/IMG]
A picture of my latest creation.I have tried alufoil selfahedsive 30my thick and 2mm.vide but it did not sound good .So this one is 7my aly and 10my film.Membrame is app. 85mm wide and 118cm. long.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
I have a coil 0,2mh. in series with a 4 ohms.resistor over it to dampen the top. Speaker is 4.2 ohm.I have not made many messurements ,so what do your think about gating ?100hz. or 1000hz.?

Last edited:
Hi Båndsei!

I must say, I really admire your work. Your design seems very DIY-friendly and using steel bars is a clever way of building - ensuring air-passage and a rigid construction.

I have been building electrostas for a while, but you have inspired me to try a magnetic planar construction. I have ordered steel bars 10X10 mm, neo magnets 10X10X40mm and have 6my mylar and 10mmX30my alu foil tape available.

I have "parked" the ESL project for a while because I have invested much time in designing and building, but the reward has so far been poor. (Problems with insulation and transformers)

I haven't found much theory on planar speakers, and have a few questions:

What will the effect be if you make a wider diaphragm and move the rows of magnets further a part? More bass or less efficiency?

In the curved design you published on hifi4all, why do you use so many crossmembers?

In my design, I will not weld at all, but use distance pieces and bolt everything together with threded rods (mainly because I don't have welding equipment)

Regards
Bent

Norway

Hi Bentl

I'm not Båndsei but I can answer the question.
If you make more spacing between the bars you get lower field strength so a lower sensitivity.
Download femm and calculate you Xmax what you need for your design.
Draw the 10x10mm iron bar and magnets into femm and variate the spacing until you have a nice uniform and strong field where the aluminum tape sits.

Rob

Hi Bentl.
Thank you for your kind words.
I have tried 30my alu ,and id did not sound good. It seems that at least 50% of the surface shuld be covered with alu.Some kind of breakup seems to be the result if there is too little alu %.
It seems that its not possibly to make a fullrange magnetic planar without to eq the top freq. app-6db.
As Rob says there is a limmit to the spacing.I have tried to simmulate 10x10 neo magn.,and if the membrame is 2.5 mm above the magnets 15mm spacing is perfekt.
I have used many crossbars because it seemed to increase magnet field strength.
I have learned to use the FEMM.better and it shows you dont have to use cross bars and certenly not in the front.The magnets shall be forced together length wise, but it worked all right for me the way i did it.

Hi,

I was thinking of increasing the diaphragm area, without increasing the nubmer of magnets.

MagnetArrangement.jpg

It seems it is a thershold to understand FEMM, but I am working on it.

regards,
Bent

Hi Bentl and båndsei

I think båndsei use strange settings and difficult to understand graphs.
Here are mine simulations from båndsei speaker.
The red line is the measurement line and it's 2mm from the magnets.
You can draw the red line everywhere you want to see if the magnetic field is linear enough.
I also attach the file for Femm.

Rob

Attachments

• Density plot.PNG
    Density plot.PNG
    82.2 KB · Views: 161
  • Magneet veld.PNG
    Magneet veld.PNG
    30.9 KB · Views: 144
  • ijzer 10x10 magneet 10x10.zip
    59.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Hi

The above was with a spacing off 15mm and i did a new one with a spacing of 10mm.
You see the difference in drop off flux from about 15mm 0.2T to 10mm 0.3T.
So 15mm is not the best distance.
But from experience with ribbons it helps not much for spl.
Maybe if you use a lot off cross bars you can raise it up or maybe perforated plate.

Rob

Attachments

• Density plot 10mm.PNG
    Density plot 10mm.PNG
    31.9 KB · Views: 88
I will agee that my graphs look strange.I have used the same simms like you doo, but have learned that it only shows field intensity..I have a problem to explain this even in Danish.You have to look at the direktion of N-S field, not only the strength.I have had problems to understand it too.According to your simms the "wires" should be placed in front of the magnets,but they have to be in betwine.
How do you export Femm files to the forum?

Attachments

Hi Rob and båndsei

Thanks for the information

Båndsei, if you package files with WinZIP you are allowed to upload ZIP-files as attachments.

I will look at the femm-files and see if I can understand the program and magnetics in general.

Regards,

Bent

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.