Diy planarspeakers - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2011, 04:34 PM   #141
Baldin is offline Baldin  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Baldin
Hi Roger

Have you seen this Mag factory tour
Magnepan Tour

Some of the pictures shows diaphragms which seems to be self supporting!?

But I have also been thinking how they could get enough tention if not supported to the steel plate first.

When I did my prototype I did it the exact way you describe.

With regards to glue, I think some of the 3M tapes will do quite well ...

Kind regards Baldin
Old 20th January 2011, 06:25 PM   #142
diyAudio Member

Hi Baldin,

Yes, I have seen that page before. All the pictures were download years ago.... Where do you see self supporting diaphragms? The drivers are more less self supporting but they can bend if removed from the frame but seems to lay down flat.

This picture shows the perforated sheet metal with the magnet bars attached, waiting for the spacers.
http://www.paulspeltz.com/maggie/magnets.jpg

This picture shows a driver with the Mylar mounted and another one still without.
http://www.paulspeltz.com/maggie/mylartable.jpg

Roger, long time owner of Magneplanar Tympani
Old 20th January 2011, 06:33 PM   #143
diyAudio Member

Hi Roger

Yes that was exactly what I was looking at ... Well the picture detail is not good, and I made assumptions from what I know .... now I see that the long dark lines are thin megnets and that the green stuff is the metal sheet, and what seems a bit darker green is actually holes in the metal sheet ... right?

.... I thought it was the diaphragms ... and thought they looked quite strange indeed ...

Thanks for the information

/Baldin
Old 26th January 2011, 03:37 AM   #144
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Still trying to get my head around what questions to ask, mostly.

Has anyone experimented with many (or any) different magnet and/or conductor geometries?

For example, what does the trade space look like for magnet width, column spacing (i.e. horizontal spacing between vertical columns of magnets), and number of columns?

Along the same lines, what about the conductor geometry? How is the magnetic field most efficiently utilized? What are any other considerations?

What about leaving gaps between magnets within a column? e.g. What about something like 1/2-inch square magnets with 1/2-inch (or whatever) gaps, instead of no gaps in a column?

What about varying the magnet spacing (or strength) or the conductor geometry, depending on how far from the edge of the membrane? It seems like, nearer to the fastened-down edges, we might want more actuation force on the membrane, to try to help the membrane move as a more-unified plane instead of having the middle always move farther than the areas nearer to the edges, for a given current.

By the way, has anyone done even a quick-n-dirty trade-space study comparing electromagnets to permanent magnets? It seems crazy, I guess, unless there is some dirt-cheap source of electromagnets, or their major components...

I am getting some magnets and will try to expriment with etching some metallized or metal-laminated films and report back. It will probably be at least two or three weeks before I have any results at all, and maybe significantly longer. But if I can find a metallized film or laminate that has good-enough electrical properties and that is easy-enough to print and etch, etc, it could then make it pretty quick to experiment with (and produce) many different conductor geometries. And if, for example, it turned out to be better to have zillions of tiny conductors, it wouldn't be significantly more difficult than having only a few larger ones, as far as actually creating them on the membrane is concerned.

Cheers,

Tom
Old 20th February 2011, 08:41 AM   #145
diyAudio Member

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
This one is 100mm.wide and 1000mm high.Inspired by "Fibonacci".But as plannar.
It does not play as deep as i hoped.Should i make it less curved ,closer to the flor or wider,or all of it ?????????
Bernt.
Old 20th February 2011, 10:56 AM   #146
diyAudio Member

Hi Båndsai

First, why do you wnat to bend it? Do you have problems with vertival dispersion?
the bending is used in Fibonacci as the ribbon is not tall enough to be a line source, and way to long to be a point source. Bending gives a better dispersion.

How low does it go?

I guess you have had to stretch the film somewhat more to make it work in the bended shape. This will give a higher resonance frequence. Remember that free air resonance is determined by the moving mass and the suspension compliance (spring mass load).

Wider and closer to the floor will help. But why not just make a straight version which is real line source ... like 180 tall or something ....

How low does it go?
What strength dou you strtetch the film with?

But as always, really nice build

Best regards Baldin
Old 20th February 2011, 02:02 PM   #147
diyAudio Member

@Bandsei:
Superb craftsmanship!
I only hope you sort out your phase problems and come up with a smooth FR curve, and good subjective sound.
Congrats!!
Old 20th February 2011, 02:13 PM   #148
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by båndsei View Post

It does not play as deep as i hoped..
hey, your 'shop' is growing

looks cool
dont forget diaphragm ressonance(Fs)
its about size, and tension
that determines how low it plays
your curved design is in reality multiple small mid/tweeter modules
Old 20th February 2011, 03:29 PM   #149
diyAudio Member

I want to bend it for two reasons.To get better dispersion,so that I don´t need to sit down to get top performance, and i hope I would get less niveau at top.I realy would like to make a fullrange planarspeaker,but it seems that with a normal ,not bend,diaphram the niveau at top raises with the width.
I usaly tries to tune the membrame to 40-50hz. messured with "Limp".

I want linar output to 80-100hz.That´s possibly with my 2 way model.

Bernt "Båndsei"
Old 20th February 2011, 04:20 PM   #150
diyAudio Member

Hi Bernt

Have you considered to just eq to a good frequency response?
I guess you want to use a sub for the very low end.
I have seriously considered to try our one of the miniDSPs .....
Even B&G modules meed eq (normally in the form of a passive broad notch filter).
But using a DSP, makes this really easy and super for work with "prototypes".

And again, just make it higher to get good dispersion, both sitting and standing ... it's only a little extra cost

Best regards Baldin

Hide this!Advertise here!