I Was Wrong - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2009, 04:10 AM   #1
Borat is offline Borat  United States
Banned

Default I Was Wrong

i had a feeling this was the case from the beginning but somehow i manged to fight that feeling off then. but i have come to grips with it now.

i am talking about :

Plur

PLUR vs Isodynamic

http://http://www.diyaudio.com/forum...evolution.html

i previously implied that this technology allows one to create wider ribbons - almost as wide as planar speakers or ESLs.

that was WRONG.

in fact it doesn't provide any advantage in possible width over regular ribbon technology.

this is to say field strength still drops proportionally to 1/gap width. my apologies to everybody.

this fact was somewhat obscured by peculiarities of the design as it doesn't manifest itself "at first". instead it acts more like an asymptotical limit. but this limit is there and there is no way around it.

however this can be viewed also as a blessing in disguise. because while on one hand it means ribbons wider than about 2" are impractical on the other hand it means that the technology allows for much higher field strength with conventional width ribbons than my original 4" wide model had.

the linearity benefit is real though. and "plur 2" takes it to its ultimate conclusion.

i will next post some simulations of a standard 1" width ribbon motor.

Last edited by Borat; 15th November 2009 at 04:13 AM.
Old 15th November 2009, 04:18 AM   #2
Banned

i narrowed the gap from 4" to 1" to recover field strength.

the maximum peak to peak excursion ( space between front and rear magnets ) here would be 0.5"

Click the image to open in full size.

i made a plot of the field along this red line:

which looks like this:

and along this red line:

which looks like this:

so in fact the technology allows for the same kind field strength levels as you would expect to have in a conventional ribbon but with absolute linearity.

as for the argument that magnets in front of the ribbon would interfere with sound - the AMT drivers such as Beyma have sizeable obstructions in front of the "ribbon" and nobody complains.

Attached Images
File Type: gif horizontal line.gif (6.6 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg horizontal plot.jpg (38.8 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg p2n.jpg (168.4 KB, 276 views)
File Type: gif vertical line.gif (6.4 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg vertical plot.jpg (38.5 KB, 287 views)

Last edited by Borat; 15th November 2009 at 04:25 AM.
Old 17th November 2009, 07:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

With the gold ribbon concept loudspeaker and other push-pull ribbon designs the acoustic cavity in front and behind the driver create a tuned chamber that creats a Hump in the respnse - with the GRC the hump was at 7Khz - but was broad enough to be EQ'd out by the crossover.
Old 18th November 2009, 08:36 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymwear5 View Post
With the gold ribbon concept loudspeaker and other push-pull ribbon designs the acoustic cavity in front and behind the driver create a tuned chamber that creats a Hump in the respnse - with the GRC the hump was at 7Khz - but was broad enough to be EQ'd out by the crossover.
i tried searching for "gold ribbon concepts 3.0" but couldn't find a single picture.

if you don't have a picture could you perhaps draw a sketch of what it was like ?

Hide this!Advertise here!