Audiostatic ES 100, mylar replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know Martin :) i winded a nice amount of transformers for Audio4 hence the tip.
I know its not THE way to go but when your equipment is limited its worth a try.
Getting the right resonance is not as easy as most people think, first we must know the original resonance(somewhere around 50), and some people say it does not mater much(or have no idea it mattered) , but it does mater much.
It dictated the extend of low frequency and loudness (qts) as well the limit in spl when chosen to low, hit the resonance and your done at a lower spl then a higher res panel.
I played around with quads for some time now and played with the audiostatics and its pretty hard to get it right.
It is doable as long as you know the resonance.
I had a pair of es 300RS once, and i could not get the thing where i wanted it to be, either honky or res to low and started to hit stators to early.
And another case where it even got sucked into a stator , clearly to low resonance.
I did not had the knowledge back then, that i have now but still it is no piece of cake i think.

By the way do we still have ESL meetings ? since i would love to meet some of the fellow builders again, see whats going on in ESL world and hopeflly the DIY scene is still alive in the netherlands. i might even met you already :)

You are bringing up a good point regarding the resonance frequency. This can be a problem indeed if you start doing this for the first time(s). Audiostatics uses relatively small panels so the small panel has to work flawlessly in order to get decent bass and even in the best case the bass has its limitations. In general, the more you are doing with an esl, the more which can go wrong; its in the details.
The activity of the ESL club unfortunately is not like it was more than 15 years ago. Once in a while there is a meeting (last times at solostatic). I didnt visit the last meeting but I heard there was little DIY activity. In the past I visited all meetings and even took some stuff with me to show, so good change we have met before.

You are bringing up a good point regarding the resonance frequency. This can be a problem indeed if you start doing this for the first time(s). Audiostatics uses relatively small panels so the small panel has to work flawlessly in order to get decent bass and even in the best case the bass has its limitations. In general, the more you are doing with an esl, the more which can go wrong; its in the details.
The activity of the ESL club unfortunately is not like it was more than 15 years ago. Once in a while there is a meeting (last times at solostatic). I didnt visit the last meeting but I heard there was little DIY activity. In the past I visited all meetings and even took some stuff with me to show, so good change we have met before.

Yeah i was at the solostatic meeting as well, getting tipsy sort of because the lack of interesting stuff :) haha , the thing that bothered me was the lack of knowledge from certain persons that do this kind of stuff for business :( i heard an awful audiostatic creation, a bad ESL63(and to expensive to), and an overprized solostatic :) (it did sounded well) best DIY was someone with an AMT, i thought it was really cool. but i heard some people say aah thats sounds so metalic ahh ...... some people are really rusty at the esl club, and the overall age does not go down either :( we need new input i believe. (nothing wrong with being a bit older by the way) i think i was the youngest visitor with an age of 32 , not even that young.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.