Driving ESL with valves/tubes - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2013, 11:00 PM   #91
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

......Can you give the B+ on the outputs....an 6sn7 frontend?
I Like the sound, of 6SN7 .... have a old Jolida 502 that i have re-worket with 6SN7 drivers.....just got some new old stock..RCAs......sweet sound.... the Jolidas output iron is vary good.....thats all that left of Jolida in the amp now
Thanks for the Amp Schematic
Old 31st May 2013, 11:52 AM   #92
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Bzal - very interesting - I have been thinking of doing this myself - the stator taps on your schematic - where exactly? Are they at 8 and 4? What is 16?

The 13 and 7 H inductors - have any additional info or anything special about them? Where is the Hammond tranny?

The plates ride on top of the 5kv bias?

Whole shabang looks like an amp I was already planning on building (without second 6SN7)

Sorry for all the dumb questions...just curious...

Last edited by john65b; 31st May 2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 31st May 2013, 12:26 PM   #93
bzal is offline bzal  United States
diyAudio Member

The stators are connected directly to the plates of the 6550's. I also connected a common connection from the amplifier to the ESL housing. The inductors are a representation of a Hammond transformer 1650R. I reversed the diodes on the bias supply to generate a negative bias. The voltage on the plates now adds to the bias increasing efficiency. The cathode followers used in the phase splitter help increase the high frequency response to the grids of the 6550 tubes. This was verified on an oscilloscope.
Old 31st May 2013, 12:29 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

One additional note. The 4,8 and 16 are the secondary taps of the transformer where a speaker would normally be connected. The internal step up transformers on the Acoustat MK unit have been disconnected. No longer needed.
Old 31st May 2013, 01:13 PM   #95
kevinh is offline kevinh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellavox View Post
Thought about this a few years back and did contact a few of the transformer manufacturers like Sowter. Consensus was that it wouldn't work because of something to do with the large inductance affecting the frequency response somehow - don't remember the details. Also the toroidal company in Canada said they could probably do it but they just weren't interested if only 2 pieces were involved.

I have a friend in CT who powers the stators of his panels directly from the plates of his Heathkit W6's; gets plenty of sound output - AND SOUNDS GREAT. Doesn't work with the Quads as the stator spacing is too great.

Charles

Interesting about the transformer issue.

Roger West at Sound lab has for many years run 2 transformers for his panels. 1 (large) xformer for the low freq and 1 for the HF.

There is a pic of the xformers at this link:

Company manufacturing electrostatic loudspeakers
Old 31st May 2013, 01:59 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

What I learned about the output transformer is that they need a low impedance driver to overcome the capacitance at the higher frequencies. Connecting a pentode as a triode does this nicely.
Old 31st May 2013, 02:15 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

I misset that post.... 500v on the B+......
Yes i have done this with my Acoustats panels in the past........sounds vary good but not a nuf output for me!

Some of the guys with SoundLabs came up with a tranfourmer setup i am using now on my Acoustat ....lot more output.... can drive the panels with 60 wattt of tube power ..........No res on the secdary side of the bass tanfourmers .....just 1.5mf 6k caps on the hi-tranfourm sed side...
Best sound an most output i have ever got out of the Acoustats...
But these Apogee just sound better.....Tuff to beat the sound of a open driver......well to me..
Long Live Acoustats An Apogee.....

Last edited by tyu; 31st May 2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 9th June 2013, 07:27 PM   #98
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

OK, couple questions - the Soundlab trannys - are they on separate hi and low panels, or do they "mix" together like the Acoustats?

Also, bzal, when you "ride" the plate voltage on top of the bias voltage, you are using neg bias, correct? So (ok, dumb question here) are you repelling dust as opposed to attracting dust to the panel with normal bias?
Old 9th June 2013, 07:41 PM   #99
diyAudio Member

John..........thay "mix" together like the Acoustats? Thay have only caps in something thay call a mixer box.....the think the caps are 1.5mf 10kV An this is my setup now in my Acoustats No REs....Just caps...Best sound ever.......well for ME
SL Panels are Just one Big Load of mass to drive!
In the pic see the black Box on the right front.

I have had the old A1s........even with the bias feed,you set till it makes a buzzzzzz....every amps i had sead NoNoNo...i wont go,
never felt as good see a pr of ESL leve my home.
like the OTLs i have thay sound Great on any speaker i have ever had...less the SLA1s............But the OTLs are tooooo....HOT for fl.
So there OUT
Long Live Acoustats An Apogee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xover[1].jpg (23.2 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by tyu; 9th June 2013 at 07:52 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!