My MBL 101E replicas - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2012, 10:05 PM   #41
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

I would imagine that building a copy of a speaker such as this would be fraught with immense difficulty. The amount of prototypes involved, and the cost involved with machining those prototypes before arriving at a good sounding product must have been staggering for MBL. The internal(air) and external driver resonances are totally unpredictable and would ultimately come down to hit or miss. Not only that, but Mbls are extremely inefficient. I couldn't imagine how inefficient these (beautiful looking!)DIY jobs must have been..

You see guys making electrostatics from scratch and you know that as long as they follow the well established rules, they will have a relatively good sounding, predictable product. But when making copies of drive units based on looks alone without any established and published (proprietary to MBL) rules? Ouch!

Last edited by Remlab; 11th May 2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11th May 2012, 10:50 PM   #42
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

I appreciate your hard to make your own copys as many of us do on this site. Its one way to save money and get a dose of satisfaction that money can,t buy

I hope it all works out for this interesting design!

I would like to know what temperature does to this design. Those petals must expand and contract and affect other parameters as well?
Listening enviroments are fairly stable but not always!

Regards
David
Old 11th May 2012, 11:59 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVWERK View Post
I appreciate your hard to make your own copys as many of us do on this site. Its one way to save money and get a dose of satisfaction that money can,t buy

I hope it all works out for this interesting design!

I would like to know what temperature does to this design. Those petals must expand and contract and affect other parameters as well?
Listening enviroments are fairly stable but not always!

Regards
David
Making an accurate clone of a speaker system with preexisting, off the shelf drive units is profoundly different from an engineering standpoint, than making accurate clones of the drive units themselves. An almost impossible task in this situation.That's probably why his posts ended abruptly 2 years ago. I have to say though that they are stunning visual copies..

Last edited by Remlab; 12th May 2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 13th May 2012, 10:28 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

After thinking about it, I'm pretty confident that those are genuine MBL aluminum petals..
Old 14th May 2012, 09:40 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

And... After thinking about it a little more, I am very confident that the whole shebang is genuine Mbl, "aquired" in its unfinished and unassembled state..
Time to call interpol..
Old 15th May 2012, 11:33 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

This is the only way MBL aluminum petals can be made..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_(manufacturing)
The manufacturing of the die used to make these petals involves an extremely expensive process..
Old 15th May 2012, 09:16 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Magnasanti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remlab View Post
And... After thinking about it a little more, I am very confident that the whole shebang is genuine Mbl, "aquired" in its unfinished and unassembled state..
Time to call interpol..
I guarantee you its not theres some mistakes that I can spot after ogling at the mbl for months they do however seem pretty darn close I wonder how he got the lamellas so damn close to the real thing in terms of curvature and length if you google areczek mbl 101 you can find more post but in a different language

Last edited by Magnasanti; 15th May 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 16th May 2012, 12:52 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

There is a very good shot of raw MBL petals on this page..
Ecoutez Voir - Approche système MBL 101E - Ecoutez Voir : une autre approche du son et de l'image (hifi, audio, vidéo, photo, musique)

And another..
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2321/...86030578_b.jpg

They look the same to me...

Last edited by Remlab; 16th May 2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 16th May 2012, 01:25 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remlab View Post
This is the only way MBL aluminum petals can be made..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_(manufacturing)
The manufacturing of the die used to make these petals involves an extremely expensive process..
I do have to add this that there is one other way to make these. After the basic petal shape has been cut, it can be put through a "corrugating" rolling press that will also naturally impart a consistent curve (If done correctly) at the same time. I have to admit that this would be much easier (but still very difficult) to accomplish..

Last edited by Remlab; 16th May 2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old 16th May 2012, 09:18 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

As Marcello Truzzi always said, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

Hide this!Advertise here!