Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2009, 09:38 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Followup: A week or so ago I emailed Antek asking if their 50VA 2x115V / 2x6V toroids used grain oriented cores and what the insulation values are between prim/prim & sec/sec windings but I've gotten no response so far. I suppose at $13 a piece they're cheap enough I wouldn't get burned too badly if I bought some to play with-- which I may do that at some point but for now I'm gonna keep looking for 230v/6v toroids with single windings; although I expect it will be hard to find a source that will ship to the US.
It's not like I'm desperate to find some-- just curious if changing from my current 100:1 EI core trannies to a tandem 68:1 toroid setup would improve my speakers' high frequency response. I like a lot of treble, since I'm a bit treble-deaf, and I'm having to add quite a bit of EQ boost above 5khz to get it where I like it.

Again-- If anyone out there finds some suitable cheap toroids available here in the US, please let me know. Thanks all!
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:07 PM   #22
Few is offline Few  United States
diyAudio Member

I think you should try these instructions for winding your own and then let me know how it all turns out so I can learn from your experience
http://quadesl.com/pdf/trans_inst.pdf

Few
Old 4th October 2009, 02:03 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Geeze, I hope you're kidding.... thanks for the tip but your suggestion presumes that I would know what wire sizes to use and number of turns needed--- sadly I'm completely ignorant about all that stuff. Actually, I had thought winding my own but all the info I could find on it wasn't geared to ESL applications so I really wasn't able to learn anything. Old dogs don't learn new tricks easy anyway.
Old 4th October 2009, 04:09 PM   #24
Few is offline Few  United States
diyAudio Member

The smiley face was meant to assure you I was kidding, but only because it was clear from the beginning of your thread that making a transformer from scratch wasn't what you were aiming for. I'm sure we could each figure out how to wind a transformer as Sheldon describes, but I don't currently have the expertise to make intelligent design choices any more than you do. Maybe someone else can chime in with a way to distill the design choices down to something newbies can work with. Until that happens, I'm with you in your quest for a source of relatively inexpensive toroids that'll get the job done.
Few
Old 5th October 2009, 09:03 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

yeah, Few, good idea...

I'm sure we're not the only ones that would welcome someone posting a tutorial on winding trannies for ESL's!
Old 5th October 2009, 09:21 AM   #26
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

have a look at Amplimo datasheets and the Patent of Mr. v.d.Veen
publ.-no.: 9300433, Int.-Claims: H01F 19/02, H01F 27/28, Date: 03,10th,1993
"Step Up Transformator" (in Dutch, maybe therīs an english version too)

jauu
Calvin
Old 31st October 2009, 11:51 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Calvin,

Can I use a standard 50hz step-up transformer for a full-range ESL?

I am an American living here in Beijing right near the "Silicon Valley of China", which is an electronics market with a goldmine of every kind of component for cheap.

I was just there today looking at tons of giant El and toroid transformers, but when I told them I wanted to use it to step up a 20-20K hz audio signal they told me it wouldn't work because they were designed for 50hz. Is this right?

What specs should I look for in these transformers here to find some that will work for ESL's? These places can even custom-make them for me, but they seem very confused by the 20-20K hz issue and seem to only make standard 50hz transformers.

Thanks!
Old 31st October 2009, 12:24 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Q: Can I use a standard 50hz step-up transformer for a full-range ESL?
A: probabely not, but not because it is designed for 50Hz usage but because of a too low primary inductance and maybe wrong core material.

You need lots of primary inductance to reach down to 20Hz, more than normal power trannies have. For hybrid panels working >200Hz prim inductance is usually sufficient. The core should be wound from thin grain oriented material, not ferrite or similar. Then bandwidths >20kHz are possible.

jauu
Calvin
Old 31st October 2009, 09:34 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Calvin, thanks for your answer!

1) "too low primary inductance"--what value of primary inductance would I be looking for to reach down to 20 hz? What determines the primary inductance, and is it helped by having larger toroids, i.e. 100VA or more?

2) A core of "thin grain oriented material, not ferrite or similar"--what specific material should I ask for ideally?

The great thing about these markets here in Beijing is that I can have them custom-make almost anything I want. What are the idea specs I should ask for for ideal trannies for full-range ESL's?
Old 1st November 2009, 09:00 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Hi

I repeat:
have a look at Amplimo datasheets and the Patent of Mr. v.d.Veen
publ.-no.: 9300433, Int.-Claims: H01F 19/02, H01F 27/28, Date: 03,10th,1993
"Step Up Transformator" (in Dutch, maybe therīs an english version too)

jauu
Calvin

Hide this!Advertise here!