Asymmetric construction induced distortion in electrostatic speakers - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2012, 04:22 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Applying bias to the diaphragm does result in a charge induced negative tension increment.
I posted some plots of this behavior several years ago when I didn't understand what was going on.
arend-jan was kind enough to point me to the Peter Baxandall chapter on ESLs which discusses it in detail.
Diaphragm Resonance change with HV bias

Taking a look at the negative stiffness term of the force equation....
F= Eps0*A*2*Vbias²*x/d³

You can see that it increases as square of Vbias, but decreases as cube of D/S spacing. So, for the same panel area and diaphragm tension, if you double the D/S spacing and double the Vbias value to obtain the same efficiency, the negative stiffness term will have less affect on Fs.

Plots comparing negative stiffness trends for different D/S spacing posted here (Attachment 3):
Current vs voltage drive ESL?

In your case you have small areas due to segmentating the diaphragm into smaller sections, and your D/S is fairly large(3-3.5mm I think you had said). So, you may see only very small changes in Fs with bias change until you start getting above 8kV or so.

Last edited by bolserst; 14th June 2012 at 04:25 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!