Anybody seen this type of planar speaker? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2009, 09:06 AM   #11
WrineX is offline WrineX  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

true, but that is only to keep costs down, push pull would be better
Old 15th August 2012, 07:33 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrineX View Post
true, but that is only to keep costs down, push pull would be better
Tried push pull not worth the effort in cost and sensitivity.
Old 15th August 2012, 10:58 AM   #13
WrineX is offline WrineX  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I had aN increase of db About 3 db and in THE control was much better
Old 15th August 2012, 02:19 PM   #14
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I also have a pair of these (under AKAI brand). It is a closed back structure. Would it be possible to open the back cover? It is made of cardboard or the like.
Old 17th August 2012, 02:29 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I believe you'd have to drill holes in the rear magnets to match the fronts (diamond dust drill bit meant for cutting glass, and use water as a coolant or they'll lose charge), or sacrifice another set of tweeters to donate their perforated magnets for the other pair.
Old 17th August 2012, 07:25 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I digged them out of my drawer. This is marked on the back:
AKAI
4IT-SM3G
Z:8 Ohm

The back magnet is a soft ferrite, like some plastic. I can carve it with a knife.
Old 17th August 2012, 09:49 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Interesting. Well that should make drilling the holes a breeze, then. Disassembly might be a bit more tricky, however.

If the rest of the construction is like an SFI SZ-2T it might be easier to take it apart from the front. Get a jeweler's flat head, slip it under the metal clamping ring and work your way around while bending that lip up using the screwdriver as a lever. I say it might be easier approaching things from the front because the front magnet is a hard sintered ferrite that won't get damaged by the process. That said, it will most likely be a little difficult to remove the diaphragm since the the solder tabs have to be oriented at an angle in order to pull everything through that metal clamping ring.

I think if you take the rubber magnet and get it to attract the hard sintered one you'll be able to match their perimeters with one another, get a mechanical pencil to outline each perforation, and then just drill the holes accordingly. For reassembly they'll of course have to repel each other.

Of course, if the diaphragms are exactly the same as an SZ-2T (meaning the magnets change polarity similarly) you could buy a second pair of tweeters here and simply swap out the rubber magnets on your Akai for the front perforated ones on the new set.
Old 19th August 2012, 07:00 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

It is available in my country for about 2 USD:

ÁRWILL ELEKTRONIC elektronikai alkatrész kis- és nagykereskedés - 4IT-SM3G magassugárzó

Maybe I buy some for disassembling and experimenting with.
Old 20th August 2012, 02:36 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Sounds good.

This stuff might be no-brainer for you, but I figure it can't hurt. Few tips/bits of advice if you care for them: On reassembly, before fully re-clamping the magnets, you may want to make sure the perforations match between front and back. You can easily see this by holding the drivers up to a light source.

Also, just inside the metal clamp there's a little piece of plastic film that runs around perpendicular to the diaphragm which keeps everything from shorting out. You might want to devise a plan in order to not deform/destroy that little insulator piece when reinserting everything. You could bend the metal clamp piece a bit further to give yourself a little bit more working room, and/or you could use some Scotch tape to form a guide for the magnet to slip inside of.

Best of luck.

Hide this!Advertise here!