989s + 57s ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2009, 01:19 PM   #1
Studley is offline Studley  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default 989s + 57s ?

I have a pair of Quad 989s. I have also acquired a pair of 57s. Prompted by the fact that people seem to like stacked 57s I've been speculating about combining the 989s and 57s (each speaker driven by a monoblock). I certainly wouldn't be stacking them vertically but I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on how this combination might work best (assuming it can work well at all).
Old 11th May 2009, 01:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The best solution would be to use the 989's in your largest listening room and the 57's in your most intimate. I can't think of a situation where using them together in a room at the same time would be beneficial, unless you are going for an ambiance effect and have dsp available.
Old 12th May 2009, 01:55 PM   #3
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

You can not stack them.

The newer Quads use a different method for the drive that produces an approximation of a spherical wave coming off the flat diaphragm. The older Quads do not, and produce a different polar response.

Stacking the two would result in a problematic combination of responses, with massive peaks and dips in the response.

Also the sensitivity of the two speakers, and the impedance is different. No way you could use a single amplifier to run them anyhow.

The best solution is to send me the old 57s and be done with them, I'll "dispose" of them for you...

_-_-bear
Old 12th May 2009, 03:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 989s + 57s ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Studley
I have a pair of Quad 989s. I have also acquired a pair of 57s. Prompted by the fact that people seem to like stacked 57s I've been speculating about combining the 989s and 57s (each speaker driven by a monoblock). I certainly wouldn't be stacking them vertically but I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on how this combination might work best (assuming it can work well at all).

too much spare time Ian?

Ed

Hide this!Advertise here!