DIY Walsh Driver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th April 2003, 09:04 PM   #1
cjh is offline cjh
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Walsh Driver

Hello everyone,

I am thinking of making my own walsh-type drivers like this guy did:

http://www.audiodesignguide.com/full/conus1.html

Does anyone know where I can get formulas for cone shapes? What I am looking for are the dimensions of a 2-d cut of thin aluminum to make a tall, skinny cone of certain dimensions. I plan to use the basket and motor from a vintage 10 or 12 inch fullranger and make the cone about 12 to 18 inches tall. I am hoping to run them full-range up to 6k hz or higher an then cross to a tweeter.

Do you think I'd have better luck using a smaller full-ranger and augment the bass instead?

Also, I have never actually seen/heard a walsh driver. Do they use a normal speaker surround or are they held more rigidly at the base of the cone to induce more bending motion within the cone itself. I tried doing a patent search to obtain construction details but had no luck...

Any general opinions of walsh drivers would be welcome too.

Quality sound is my goal, but equally important is a pair of whacko-looking speakers.

-Chris
http://www.audiodesignguide.com/full/conus1.html
Old 26th April 2003, 09:49 PM   #2
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hi!

I assume You havwe seen this one ..
http://www.german-physiks.com/NewFiles1/WhiteBook.html

/
Old 26th April 2003, 11:17 PM   #3
Ilianh is offline Ilianh  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ilianh
Thats interesting, I might give it a try.

What about making it out of kevlar or carbon fibers?

Would not be too expensive and would be easier to work with for sure.
Old 26th April 2003, 11:35 PM   #4
JeremyD is offline JeremyD  United States
diyAudio Member

So what would be the advantage of this over a typical driver? It only appears to have an elongated cone and thats it. What does that do thats so special?
Old 27th April 2003, 12:08 AM   #5
cjh is offline cjh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I assume You havwe seen this one ..
Yeah, its sort of what started this...

Quote:
What about making it out of kevlar or carbon fibers?
Thats a good idea. I wonder if the wave propogation speed in these materials is fast enough for the bending wave principal. The info of the DDD driver seems to indicate that if its greater than the speed of sound, all is good. Anybody know?
Old 27th April 2003, 12:49 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I thougth so !

On the bottom of page are some data for kevlar ! It seems to compare favorably to aluminum.
/
Old 27th April 2003, 10:43 PM   #7
cjh is offline cjh
diyAudio Member

TNT,

can you post the link to the kevlar info again? Doesn't look like it worked the first time.

cjh
Old 27th April 2003, 11:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Sorry !

http://www.islandone.org/LEOBiblio/SPBI1MA.HTM

/
Old 28th April 2003, 04:45 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

This may be of limited help, but I picked up several NOS walsh tweeters that were used in one of the large early Infinitys. I sold them, but I know that one went to the guy who runs Ohm. He was interested because, apparently, they don't have any information on them, even though you might assume that, as the maker of the F, they would know everything. He might be worth contacting since apparently he is interested in the driver design.
At any rate, the tweeter appeared to me to be a modification of a dome tweeter which looked remarkably like the one used in the old Audio Pro two way. It almost seemed that they had simply glued a thin aluminum cone on the existing tweeter, but since the cone itself was stuffed with fiberfill (glued) I couldn't tell whether the old dome was still there or what.
Old 30th April 2003, 05:28 AM   #10
cjh is offline cjh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It almost seemed that they had simply glued a thin aluminum cone on the existing tweeter, but since the cone itself was stuffed with fiberfill (glued) I couldn't tell whether the old dome was still there or what.
How thick do you remember the aluminum to be? The DDD whitepaper says that they use 1 mm thick titamium, but this seems aufully thick for something you want to flex.

Hide this!Advertise here!