Alu stators, holes/perforation aligned? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2009, 01:59 PM   #1
bentl is offline bentl  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Alu stators, holes/perforation aligned?

Hi,

I'm planning some ELSs with perforated alu-panels as stators.

Anyone knows if it is important that the holes/perforation in front and back stators must align or not? (In my mind the holes should align..)

The stator plates must be ordered specially with holes aligning for a pair

regards,
Bent
Old 22nd April 2009, 06:48 PM   #2
Few is offline Few  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Bent,
I see you've had some viewers but no responses. I'll chime in with a question: How big are the holes in your stators and how much distance will there be between stators?

I think your goal should be to maximize the uniformity of the electric field between the stators. If the stators have large holes, and they're positioned close to each other, the portions of the diaphragm that sit between aligned holes will experience weaker forces than those portions that sit between solid stator material. For that reason I could argue that purposely misaligning the holes might yield the best results, but you'd probably have to have quite large holes, and small stator spacing, for the alignment to matter much.

Of course if you're more worried about the transparency of the stators then aligning might be more important. Even then, though, I'd think that you'd only be able to see through one portion of the panel because your line of sight wouldn't line up with pairs of holes except where your line of site is perpendicular to the plane of the stators.

Few
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Technically the holes should not be aligned. The electric field will be more uniform and the air load/resistance on the diaphragm as well. At least, that's what my gut feeling tells me.

Hide this!Advertise here!