In need really thin aluminium magnet wire!!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2009, 10:18 PM   #1
WrineX is offline WrineX  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default In need really thin aluminium magnet wire!!!

hi there, i bought 2 sets of maggies that are worn out, really ****
so i had finally the oppertunity to take a look at the magnets, and well what a suprise. no massive amount of money spend there!!!!!.

the magnets are rubber ones, you can buy them on rolls of 8 meter one with a sticky side with the north pole on top and the other 8 meters with sticky side and southpole on top.

i bought these rubber kind of magnets , realy weak and really small size few weeks back an tried to make a little pannel myself and jesus they sound pretty loud. used 48 small magnets and orderd 1500 for like 2 euro! so people no need for al the fancy neo's magnepan dont use them as well!

but now comes my problem, first i thought it would be the magnets but now thats out of the way, it now the voice coil, i tried it with aluminum foil but its terrible to cut out a whole coil without destroing it and also to place them in the right possition on the magnets. so i tried alu tape with sticky side in verry thin slice, but problem here is my tape is not long enought to make a bigger one. so my final last resort is magnet wire like the one they used in magnepan. i will only use the panels to play from 300 or 400 hertz and u so the wire has to be as thin as possible!!.

But in the whole netherlands they never heard of aluminum magnet wire only copper that weighs like 3 times as much so it wont work! can anybody help me with this wire? or does anybody has another solution ?
Old 30th March 2009, 10:32 PM   #2
Atom666 is offline Atom666  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi
If you phone Magnepan and ask for the parts department they will be happy to sell you a couple of rolls of the aluminum wire you need. I just bought some recently for my MGIIIA ,2 rolls were about $35.00.You can also get new grill cloth for a reasonable price
Andrew
Old 30th March 2009, 10:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Magnepan also sells repair kits for the MMG . . . as in the quasi-ribbon
tweeter , You might ask " Karen " in customer service about the kit.

The kit comes with the aluminum foil and the glue used to adhere it to the mylar , and some solder ( I could be wrong about the solder )
Old 30th March 2009, 11:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

thx for your reply , problem one is i live in the netherlands, but the biggest problem is i need a lot, because i have sooo many magnets left i have to do something with them, dont know if they send so much, only way to contact them is phone

how many is 2 rolls ? in meters
Old 31st March 2009, 12:23 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

If you're creative, You might be able to use uninsulated (no enamel) Aluminium wire if you can find that. Perhaps one of the scientific material suppliers might carry it but they won't be cheap...

I'd still try and talk to Magnepan, from personal experience they are extremely helpful and are able to provide all that is needed for repairs.

Cheers, & good luck,

Ed.

If you really have to use copper, bear in mind that, the density of copper is 3.3 times that of aluminium, but the conductivity is only 1.5 times as much. So for a given (DC) resistance, a copper wired panel would have about double the mass of an aluminium one.
Old 31st March 2009, 03:11 AM   #6
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

If you can find a company that rewinds voice coils they should have CCAW (copper clad Aluminium wire) as its used to keep the voice coil light.

Hope this helps

Regards
James
Old 31st March 2009, 10:43 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

nice thank you for the reply, clad wire, i know a company that fixes al kind of drivers so i assume the have the wire as well, will make a call today.

thanks!
Old 31st March 2009, 11:18 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

ah just called the repair company, to bad they only use copper wire for voice coil repairs.
Old 31st March 2009, 12:05 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have a large roll of aluminum magnet wire. Been so long since I looked at it I forget the gauge but it may be #26. I could spare some. It looks almost like real magnet wire but making connections to it are a challenge after you strip the enamel off the ends.

If I get a chance today i'll check the gauge and report back.

Any idea how many feet (of the wire) you would need?
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.
Old 31st March 2009, 01:00 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Here in the UK, there's a very useful on-line wire supplier: www.wires.co.uk

They sell to jewellery and craft hobbyists, but stock normal engineering wires as well in various metals.

Hide this!Advertise here!