Simple DIY Ribbon Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not mine but everything else you asked for.
Here you go:
http://www.dahlbergaudiodesign.se/engelska/del1.htm
PICT0078.JPG

Nice setup - but I might start with something a bit shorter to get a hang of the methods!

I think there's quite a bit out there on DIY ribbon tweeters if you search. With a few magnets and some foil (and a step down transformer), it's pretty easy to experiment. Beware low impedances presented to an amplifier...

Cheers,

Ed

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
http://www.michaelgaedtke.de/Home/index.html

Look at "lautsprecher", and use a "translate" program

But with smaller ribbon you need a trafo, which you may not with bigger ones
But I have made very big ones and they are a bit tricky and "lively" when crossed low

The more advanced DIYers have turned towards "planars"

One important thing to consider is diaphragm weight, and even glue ads up

I think one problem with ribbons is that they dont have much lowend power, unless maybe if VERY BIG, so I would still use some kind of ordinary mid/woofers

My present projects are a 15mm x 200mm and 8mm x 100mm, more or less
Still thinking about how to do the iron work...but I may have the wrong magnets fore some options :clown:
Man, there are some real heavy neos, and perfect fore small ribbon with very high sensitivity...but man, those are very strong and literally dangerous to handle

Be aware that magnetising orientation is very important, and determines to some degree how the iron is placed ;)

Attachments

• super ribbon.jpg
    super ribbon.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 484
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I once had this idea with a VERY big ordinary magnet I once saw, but so big a magnet even if ordinary and not neo may still be tricky to handle
Even so, its an odd design and difficult to mount properly

Attachments

• one magnet.jpg
    one magnet.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 350
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.