Introducing the Frankenheil !!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Was busy today and finished off a speaker project that I've been working on for a while, well to tell the truth it must have been nearly a year lol.

A friend sold me a pair of TOA PA bass bins loaded with 18" Fane Colossus speakers in them, cheap. They only had a thin piece of felt lining in them so I put in some fiberglass pink. Not sure what to do with them I decided to hook up an extra pair of Heil AMTs to them. The ESS crossovers need some work, they have some real cheap non-polar caps in them, still the sound is lovely. Can hardly wait to chop those cheepo caps out and put something decent in. Then I have to wait for the break in period but oh well.

Also a pic of my new favorite guitar. A brand spanking new 1992 Godin Acousticaster. Sat in the store for 16 years; lucky me.

Lar

Attachments

• frankenheil.jpg
    frankenheil.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 543
Am rebuilding a pair of crossovers for these. They already sound awesome so getting rid of the el-chepo made in Mexico non-polars should make a significant difference.

I'm about three quarters way through putting them together.

The values are 10uF and 33uF.

I'm making up the 10uF ones by combining a 5uF 400V CDE poly with a 5uF 200V Dearborn PIO. The 33uF ones I'm making up with a 30uF 250V CDE poly with a 3uF 640V Siemens MKV oil cap. I checked a sampling of the new caps on my Sencore LC102 and they test very close value wise with no leakage, or dielectric absorption etc..

I'm using Amazing Goop to glue the caps to the boards. I've used this stuff with success before. It's easier to work with than a glue gun and the resulting stuff can be more easily cut and removed if need be.

I've decided to do the work stage by stage so the Goop has time to set up with the caps that I've done each day. When all the caps are on board I'll do my rewire. I may first have to move some of the old Mexicans out of the way to make room on the one side.

Not sure how long the break in period will be but the improvement in sound should be noticeable right away.

Lar

Attachments

• ess crossover rebuild #9.jpg
    ess crossover rebuild #9.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 379
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.