Aluminum Foil to Use for Quasi - Ribbon Tweeter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2009, 07:04 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Aluminum Foil to Use for Quasi - Ribbon Tweeter

Hello All ,

I have lurked here for some time , and have done some searches of this forum for what material would be used for a Quasi-Ribbon tweeter like Magnepan uses .

I have modded a pair of Magnepan MGII s , I have built Oak Frames , and Up Graded the components in the Cross Over , along with re-wiring them to a Series Cross Over configuration.They sound
Fantastic .

However ,the MGIIs use a wire for the tweeter , where as the MMGs use a Aluminum Foil for the tweeter , which Magnepan calls a " Quasi Ribbon ".

I purchased a pair of MGIs for $49.00 , and the tweeter section on both drivers are corroded and broken . I intend to build Frames for these as well , along with the Series Cross Over and Upgraded Components .

I want to try to make my Own Quasi-Ribboned MGIs .{ Magnepan states that their ribbon is ".001 (thickness) ribbon ". } Aluminum foil for the tweeter sections on these , they'll be real Frankensteins lol . Does anyone have knowledge of an Aluminum Foil that would work for this application ?

Google searches have netted some results, but , those that I have contacted , have Minimum Quantity Lots you have to buy .

Sorry for being so long winded . . . and Thank You in Advance for Your Help in this matter .

Stephen
Old 6th January 2009, 07:47 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Stephen,

Check the "60" ribbon.... Hybrid" thread elsewhere in this section. Valvitude, I believe, recovers the foil for his ribbons from a particular make of capacitor. I think that thread has all the details.

Edit: actually it was here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...37#post1643937

Right forum member, wrong thread...

Cheers,

Ed
Old 7th January 2009, 12:32 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank You Ed !

I had read that thread , when doing my search of the forum . The problem I see with what " poopydoopynoopy " is doing , is that he is making 4 , 60 inch ribbons .

" After you get done roaching a few learning how to harvest the foil, and slicing/crimping it, you will get at least 2 60" ribbons out of each cap. Practice slicing and crimping on your "target" foil. "

To do what I want to do , the quasi ribbon will have to be at least 24 to 30 foot in length , which will allow for 1 continuous run , that goes from the top to bottom of the driver 6 times , and then is connected to the tabs that the Cross-Over connections go to .

I'll keep reading and searching . . . also , I have never had the oppertunity to disassemble a capacitor to determine whether or not it
would have the length I need .

Thanks Again Ed , Cheers Stephen
Old 7th January 2009, 01:35 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to poopydoopynoopy
Quote:
Originally posted by StephenEC
Thank You Ed !

The problem I see with what " poopydoopynoopy " is doing , is that he is making 4 , 60 inch ribbons .

. . . what do you mean?
Old 7th January 2009, 08:05 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

poopydoopynoopy ,

I did NOT mean that You were doing something wrong . I commend You on Your Approach and Skill Level , I do not have those skills .

What I mean is , You are making a ribbon that is constructed of 4 pieces of foil that are 60 inches in length . . . and placed on a piece of tape .We are trying to do Different Things is All .

I need a piece of foil that is 24 to 30 foot long , It has to be one continuous piece , so that I can glue it to the mylar in place of the fine wire Magnepan uses on their older speakers for the tweeter section .

I certainly did not intend to besmirch You . I apologize for not wording it better .

Cheers , Stephen
Old 8th January 2009, 12:22 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Update on Foil Search . . .

I made some phone calls today regarding my search for aluminum foil . I had a phone number for ESPI Metals . . . they do not sell to the public , upon hearing this , I asked the Friendly Person on the other end of the phone if She knew of a Business that dealt in the Aluminum Foil that did sell to the Public.

She gave me the name " McMaster-Carr " . . . I did a quick google search and came with contact info . I called them, and Yes they have a product that will suit my needs ( I Hope ) .

I ordered a roll of this stuff , it's 6 inches wide , and .001 thick , and a ( unfortunately ) comes as a roll of 250 feet . . . way more than I'll use , but hey . . . if I mess it up , I'll have plenty to experiment with .

Cheers , Stephen
Old 8th January 2009, 01:51 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to poopydoopynoopy
Quote:
Originally posted by StephenEC
poopydoopynoopy ,

I certainly did not intend to besmirch You . I apologize for not wording it better .

Cheers , Stephen

No apologies!
I was mostly wondering if you knew something I did not and I wanted to find out what it was if you did
I would hate to go through all this and be missing something or not doing something right and nobody says anything, you know?
I like this board many of the car boards I frequent have people who just love to put others down, not so here!

I appreciate the compliment, flattery will get you everywhere!

paul

P.S. let's have some pics!
Old 8th January 2009, 04:36 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

poopydoopynoopy ,

No problem . . . Internet Forums , can be Outrageous at times , and
it seems that when I try to convey my thoughts , the written word fails me .javascript:smilie('')

The forums I frequent the most are Friendly, and some are Moderated , which IMO , makes for a Decent Experience . . . Plus , I'm just not going to argue over my hobby of Audio .

Cheers , Stephen

ps . . . I'll post photos when this project gets underway , I'm just gathering the materials I'm going to use at this point . I have all ready bought the speakers , and they need the tweeter sections rewired , only instead of the factory original wire , I'm going to implement the aluminum foil in place of the wire .

Magnepan did not employ the quasi-ribbon ( aka aluminum foil tweeter ) on the MGI or the MGII s . . . so , I'm kinda excited about seeing if I can make these old girls sing beautiful music .
Old 28th January 2009, 03:27 AM   #9
DiyFan is offline DiyFan  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Stephen,

I was considering doing a simular rewire with my Maggie IIIa's.

There was an Audio Xpress article (May 2001) where the author used "sensing tape" or also called "cue tape" to make up his diy ribbons. The article states the thickness is around 8.6um with a 10um adhesive layer.

A quick search of E-bay shows some 3/16" wide cue tape available.

How is your project going?

Sean
Old 28th January 2009, 03:57 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Sean ,

Thanks for the information . !

As far as the project goes , I have acquired some aluminum foil , it's .001 thick , and 6 inches wide , and 250 foot on the roll . I have an Idea how I'm going to cut it to the width I want .

Once winter is over , I'll call Magnepan and order one of their tweeter kits , that way , I'll have the glue that they use .

I bought this pair of MGIs dirt cheap , and I want to try this mod , who knows , it might flop , and then again , it might sound Great .

My MGII's sound Fantastic with Wooden Frames and Up-Graded Cross-Over Components , along with using the series style cross -over
wiring .

Since I all ready have the external cross overs built , once I get the quasi -ribbon in place , I'll see what gives . . . hopefully , Sweet Music . . . if not , it won't be that hard to strip and try something else .

Hide this!Advertise here!