Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2009, 03:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Please help with BG Neo8 MTM design

I am thinking of making a pair of BG Neo8 mtm's with the Neo3PDR's in the center. I was going to cross them over to 4 Dayton RS100 full range speakers at about 1500hz. Also will have Dayton RS265's in bottom of enclosures with 240 watt amps. I was thinking this may work out? Subs at 180hz then full ranges to about 1500hz and finally tweeters at 8500hz? all 2nd order (APC) or may be even 3rd order(APC) for the full ranges? Im wondering if this will work with the RS100's stacked vertically in a closed box right next to the MTM Neo drivers which would be mounted on there own open baffle? Or will that type of arrangement interfere with the open back diapole effect of the Neo8's? I think I have seen similar designs from speaker manufactor's. Also would it be better to just do a 2-way cross-over with a single cap on Neo3's treated like super tweeter's? Any help will be appriciated because I am about ready to order the Neo8 or Neo8PDR's.
Old 9th January 2009, 02:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I almost forgot one of my main questions, does it make any difference which Neo8 I use, PDR or regular? Thanks
Old 12th January 2009, 11:54 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

In my experience I suggest to use The Neo8PDR without neo3
Obyouvsly one Neo8pdr, not two.
And personally I have found it better in monopole than dipole operation. Make a little box 100%stuffed 1 liter or more.
Just my 2 cent.

Cheers,
Paolo
Old 18th January 2009, 01:18 AM   #4
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

Makes sense...too many drivers may cause difficulties, to say the least...the ideal is one driver fore each passband, if possible
Hey, my old mentor would like your statement about monopole being better

You seem to have had some good thoughts about this, and maybe just needs a bit refining
Old 18th January 2009, 05:10 AM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

That 10" sub driver, I dont know, its too small maybe best use multiple 10" RS270S, either that or better sub drivers

That little RS100 is really cute, but I wouldnt use a mid with such peaks

And I wont say that the use of 4 mids cant work, a way around it could be 2.5way + sub
Only 2 drivers would probably sound better, but with less sensitivity and power

Maybe the underhung 4" Titanium Tangband..as above
Would probably work fine with a pair of RS270S

The new longstroke underhung Tangband actually looks quite interesting...as above
Would probably work fine with good subs

Well, personally I wouldnt place my money on Neo8, it may be ok though, I dont know

my my, that was grumpy, time to bed
Old 18th January 2009, 05:59 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

some other thoughts popping up

If monstersound is whats needed, probably the new bigger underhung Tangbands will be a good choice

But maybe 3 x 4" titanium TB in a MTM, with one working as tweeter...ehhh, say what
Yeah, I believe it would work
And crossed as you like, "6db" possible too
supertweeter on top, if needed

Thinking, maybe a couple more of the same driver below, in 2.5way
Lets see...that would be WWWWMTM +sub...all drivers the same, 7 drivers in total +subs...thats cool

The above MTM top section could also be combined with their bigger underhung sister woofers...yeah, could bee the one, but unfortunately the simple 2.5way is down the drain

Ok guys, thats crazy stuff...and I am not the one to make it work, so its quite easy
Though I have other plans fore myself...but surely this thing has me on my toes, so maybe I will think about doing such a thing
Especially now that these drivers are becoming more available in EU

But VIFA have announced new interesting drivers, so we will see about that

Old 18th January 2009, 07:27 AM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Sorry Justin, I shouldnt have done that, but the bright side took over
Old 18th January 2009, 09:00 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

tinitus thanks for the advice. I really am not after high spl's in any way. My main goal is to design something that images incredibly and sounds very life like. I want that "spooky" solid image that fools you into thinking the real thing is right in front of you. Im kinda disappointed to hear that the Dayton Reference 10" woofers are so poor because I purchase two fo them and two 240 watt amps for this type of project. Im really not as concerned with extremely deep bass. I am more interested in transients, pitch and definition. I've read that closed box designs are better for or easier to make with these goals in mind? I was thinking of this design as sort of a really small line aray with supper tweeter in the middle to extend things past 20khz. I have a pair of satellites that I rigged together with 2 rs100's stacked vertically with a Neo3PDR side mounte in a triangle. I really like the sound of this combination as long as the volume is kept lowish. They do fall apart quickly once turned up. These very small drivers (rs100's) seem like they could use a little more help. 4 of them would be 120 watts and about 88-89 db instead of 85-86. and 2 Neo8s would be 8 ohms insted of 4 with lower sensitivity closer to rs100s. I have read a lot of posts about these drivers and it seems like most people liked them better diapole? I will probably try them both ways before I make final boxes. Thanks for the sugguestions, and please keep them comming, because the Neo8PDR's are not in yet.
Old 18th January 2009, 09:50 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tinitus
Makes sense...too many drivers may cause difficulties, to say the least...the ideal is one driver fore each passband, if possible
Hey, my old mentor would like your statement about monopole being better

You seem to have had some good thoughts about this, and maybe just needs a bit refining
Hi tinitus,
you are right. I have "discovered" the Neo8pdr before the Martin Logan was emploing in his "horrible" AV line!

I believe 99% of useres have understand "nothing" about what is the real value of the Neo8 ( that is very high) because they are not capable to employ it at his maximum!

I'm sorry for my crude words but I have listened enough speakers wich sound "mediocre" ........
My statement is the Neo8pdr , when propery modified and emploied, do not need of any supertweeter. Never do that!
I have speakers disponible for comparision here in Italy. Compare with what you want; I have checked with Avalon, Wilson,Thiel,B&W,
Manger and Magico.
I repeat, and excuse if I am annoing: they do not need neo3.
I'm sorry, I dont want post photos because I am in doubt if make business here

Cheers,
Paolo
Old 18th January 2009, 07:02 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin Melhado

I want that "spooky" solid image that fools you into thinking the real thing is right in front of you.

Im kinda disappointed to hear that the Dayton Reference 10" woofers are so poor because I purchase two fo them and two 240 watt amps for this type of project.

Im really not as concerned with extremely deep bass. I am more interested in transients, pitch and definition.

Sorry, I was rude

I believe your Dayton sub is a very fine driver...used correctly...only it doesnt seem to be the absolute best choice fore your suggested design...but doesnt matter when you read below

As fore your last statement, you are right...just your design doesnt seem to be going in that direction...I believe other designs would be much better in doing what you really want

Hide this!Advertise here!