Curved magnetostatic speaker - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2009, 05:05 PM   #31
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by a.wayne
Hello Bandsei,

i really can't see you getting good bass without going hybrid

I concluded that also, many ears ago making bigger planars...without knowing anything about the struggle with "ordinary" dynamic drivers

I do think now that it would need to be an array of smaller woofers, working in the low "dipole-loss" frequency from around 300hz and below

And with that the planar could have the benefit of being smaller(narrow)

You can also build a planar sub http://infraplanar.free.fr/

edit, note also that when you curve the design like that, you "support" the diaphragm at many points, so that it is actually devided into many smaller ones, with higher ressonance, hence less bass

My guess is that it would be better to curve it only vertically, but which way, forwards or opposite, I dont know but I do have a suspicion

Or you could split it up in 3 sections, each horisontally curved, but mounted "curved" vertically the opposite way
Old 2nd March 2009, 05:19 PM   #32
jzagaja is offline jzagaja  Poland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jzagaja
Jamesbos claims his planar goes fullrange. What about bipoles, infinite baffles should help?
Old 2nd March 2009, 06:18 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

My aim is frekvensresponse to 100 hz.I know i need a sub.I think you are right about the width,it might be smaller,my first type was 12cm.x96cm. and was curved at R.31 cm The new one ,the third,is wider , 20cm.x113cm. and curved at R.36.The idea with 3 panels I cant visualice it right now ,i will have to think more.
Old 2nd March 2009, 06:56 PM   #34
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Tinitus,

Yes i do plan to build a push /pull planer bass/sub driver tall as oppose to being as wide as the one shown ...
Old 2nd March 2009, 09:24 PM   #35
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Hi Wayne, sounds good and hope we will see it some day, real heavy stuff ... I admit I like the wide one

Båndsei

I imagine a 3 segment something like this...not sure if 1 or 3 segment tweeter

If you want it down to 100hz you either need equalising, or a 2way design...I dont think theres any other way around it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg planar.jpg (20.4 KB, 350 views)
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:03 AM   #36
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Hello Tinitus,

Still working on it .................................................. .......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg att00774.jpg (79.9 KB, 388 views)
Old 3rd March 2009, 05:03 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

I love the infraplanar in the link supplied by tinitus. It would be fun to build something similar. After looking closely at the construction of my Magnepan's, I'd previously wondered about constructing something using a similar distributed drive principle, but with a rigid "piston" in place of a stretched diaphragm. It seems Infraplanar were ahead of me

Also, I have to say that I admire the elegant work exhibited by båndsei and others in this thread. Great stuff!

Cheers,

Ed
Old 4th March 2009, 10:19 PM   #38
jzagaja is offline jzagaja  Poland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jzagaja
Quote:
best if you can abrade your neo magnet surface if they are plated. http://www.henkelna.com/us/content_...nd_Silicone.pdf
Abrasion doesn't help. Have tried all glues from hardware store. Is Loctite so magical?
Old 4th March 2009, 10:42 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Default Magic no...

Well suited to your alpplication yes. Black Max is a very popular speaker magnet assembly adhesive, also used to bond disk break pads amongst other uses. Get the accelerator as well ro make for a stronger and faster joint. A rough surface is always better than a smooth surface as it will provide additional surface area for the adhesive to get a grip on to. Check with Loctite for additional information.
Old 31st March 2009, 05:52 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Here is my latest speaker.[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG] It is 12x96 cm.curved plannar,and 3 ribbon tweeter.The sub. is 12" with passive radiator.I have not had the time to finish the filters so i play only with the plannar.In this model* i only use 4x12 magnets 48 pc. The sensivity is almost the same as in my first model where i used 6x12 magnets 72 pc.[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Hide this!Advertise here!