PIEZO NXT type panel - Page 50 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2010, 09:41 AM   #491
mkstat is offline mkstat  Austria
diyAudio Member

Maybe interesting:

KAPA-Sound

regards
Markus
Old 14th January 2010, 11:33 AM   #492
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjefferys
While searching for panel material, I ran across this Honeycomb Panels, Foam Core Panels, Lightweight Panels

PH Series: Phenolic Backer Sheet Honeycomb Panels

The PH series honeycomb panels feature phenolic backer sheet faces and cores of aluminum or paper honeycomb. Backer sheet is available in thicknesses of .020", .032", and .049". Lightweight panels for use where appearance or high strength are not priorities.

PHP
Panel thickness 1/2" to 3" in increments of .02"
FACES: Phenolic backer sheet
CORE: 60-60-15 Kraft paper HC 3/8" cell
PHA
Panel thickness 1/4" to 3" in increments of .002"
FACES: Phenolic backer sheet
CORE: ALH-CG 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2" cell
Applications:

Flat Speaker Components
Stiffener Panels
Graphic Backings
Table and Countertop and Door Blanks
Electronic Whiteboard Backers

Here is a link to the mechanical properties. http://www.panelteccorp.com/html/pap...properties.pdf
Old 15th January 2010, 09:31 PM   #493
diyAudio Member

Elmers board (Wallmart) is definately inferior to Gatorboard, but also dirt cheap.
Since I had bought some before seeing real Gatorboard, I wondered if a coat of
Shellac might stiffen the covering layer enough make it more competitive?

Well, after letting a whole can of Rustoleum clear spray lacquer soak in and dry...
The difference is real, but not yet significant. I probably should have gone for
a brush-on Shellac. Something with a much heavier cut...

Whatever material they maker Gatorboard of? Still weighs more than one whole
spray can added to the Elmers.
Old 16th January 2010, 09:01 AM   #494
diyAudio Member

Default 1st post

Got two sets of PE 5$ exciters and two 20 x 30 foam boards today.
Doubled sided taped them together and hung with 3m decorating clips and fishing line 4 feet out from corner.

These things sound better than two pieces of foam have a right too! I would go as far to say these are the worlds best 16$ speakers. I am going to photograph my *** and replace a buddies bookshelf polks with this set while he is at work.

I have already ordered 6 sets and located 40x60 foam board which I will cut in for 20x60 panels . 12ft of oak railing and two cutting boards will complete the package .
The backs of the exciters will be glued to the flat side of the oak rail and the panel will free float . Poor mans Maggies for the game room ~100$
Old 16th January 2010, 05:34 PM   #495
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcanoe View Post
I would go as far to say these are the worlds best 16$ speakers.
I often noticed that we cannot hear the price of audio gear unless
we are told

Panel speaker building seems to be very infectious ...
Old 18th January 2010, 11:32 PM   #496
diydoc is offline diydoc  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Default another newbie ..

Hello All
I dont normally post on forums and this is a first for me.. I have been experimenting with exciters since buying 4 nxt soundpads which I used to take on holidays with my t amp and stick to everything from pringles cartons to drawers..
I have just finished a new set , they are made from packing foam polysterene sheet about 6 mm which I lminated with a cut up emergency car windscreen .. kind of mylar material I used spray glue to laminate end resut being very light and stiff.rounded the edges
I used coppr sheet to hold the eciters in place and one large piece of copper sheet as a stifener and as an experiment to increase to surface ara of the exciter
Although new to forums I have owned a wide range of hifi including altec dual 15s and KT 66 valve amps .. more recently I am using a panasonic sr45 chip reciever with a modified PSP1 1001 as te cd player
The sound is excellent to the extent I replaced my canon mushroom speakers with my diy efforts.I have a couple of Gallo 12"subs for the bass ..
previously I tried squirting foam filler into corragated PVC ceiling panels , messy business I dont recommend..
Next I an going to try the following - mixing zeolite corn starch to make a kind of natural foam filling I nicked the idea from a patent I read ..then use it inbetween some kind of honeycomb perhaps bee keeping panels..
I will post some pics of my handywork they are about 6cm by 3 cm
next step is to use some spring steel or similar to bend them slightly after another idea I pinched hope someone likes the use of copper sheet it seems to hold them in place and add something to the sound I feel ..
Load some pics tomorrow if anyone is interested ,, enjoy the forum and all the input into diy panels
Best Jim
Old 21st January 2010, 04:30 AM   #497
Garytr is offline Garytr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Jim,
Please post pictures. Any more detail on packing foam wind screen and copper sheet?
Gary
Old 21st January 2010, 02:11 PM   #498
diyAudio Member

Default White Monsters

Click the image to open in full size.

24 x 60 gatorfoam , 6 exciters per panel top two with caps left on. Top 3 in series bottom 3 in series, top and bottom in parallel with scrounged jbl tweeters/ lpad

They sound real good with my sub. Now all I need to do is ad a pair of Tymphany LAT250 transducers so they can operate on their own downstairs.

Old 22nd January 2010, 10:22 AM   #499
diydoc is offline diydoc  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Default Great pics..

Hi jrcanoe
Liked the pics , thanks for the link to tymphany transducers as well
What about a support frame for the panel that is also a tapped horn like william cowan except for the tymphany transducers and very thin?
Hope it is not off topic as I am still working out best etiquette for the forum as I am new so advice is ok , heres some pics of my efforts including some honeycomb cardboard i found to play with..Jim its very loud ! going to tung oil it .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STA60435.jpg (431.2 KB, 468 views)
File Type: jpg STA60433.jpg (338.4 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg STA60432.jpg (602.6 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg STA60434.jpg (273.8 KB, 141 views)
Old 27th February 2010, 08:40 AM   #500
diyAudio Member

Has anyone tried using fiberglass resin to coat the cardboard and make seal all edges?

It's funny timing that I found this thread today. I picked up some cardboard like diydoc's pic above yesterday, but with a smaller "comb" size. I'm planning on slathering several coats of resin, then adding fiberglass mat on top of that to stiffen in all planes, and make it all a bit more presentable.

Hide this!Advertise here!