PIEZO NXT type panel - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2009, 01:18 AM   #101
Ziggy is offline Ziggy  Australia
Account Disabled

OOPS!.......nearly forgot, the panels are a Polystyrene foam board with wood fiber/resin impregnated faces(like wood veneer used to make furniture).

They cost me, cut to size and delivered : $220 AUS. That makes them one of the most expensive foam boards available.

Suggest you try sign making companies. They all use FOAMCOR type boards for signs. Any of these will work, some better than others. You should look for a foam board that has a hard surface, not soft or coated in paper.
Old 30th January 2009, 01:23 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

i'm far from understanding this thing of the transformers, looks like i must put my head in beetween pages of some electronics book, do you have a reference online to suggetst?

i was meaning the price for the gatorfoam just to be sure i can trust the price if i find someone selling here in rome.

looking further for your work
Old 30th January 2009, 01:25 AM   #103
Account Disabled

human.bin......look on the internet regarding ''piezo speakers'' and ''piezo transformers''
Old 2nd February 2009, 01:02 AM   #104
Account Disabled

UPDATE : have held back on using the sample rolls of 3M tape and emailed NXTSOUND to enquire on whether the ''adhesiive rings'' on the foot of the Soundpads were available from NXT.

They have kindly offered to supply enough free samples for my particular model of exciter so that I can do all 12 exciters for the 2 panels.
I am most impressed with NXT's service and assistance for the common man.....well done NXT !!!
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:55 AM   #105
Account Disabled

UPDATE : just couldn't wait could I ?...........used the ''vintage'' unknown 3M tape and quickly mounted all 12 exciters on both panels - very rough set up and quick soldering of standard wire, placed in an approximate vertical line leaving 1 foot at the top and bottom of the panels.
The panels were once again placed in their usual position as per my previous photo a while back.

Used a wooden tongue depressor to apply some force to where the foot of the exciter comes in to contact with the tape. There was some ''gagging'' due to the tongue depressor being used, but the exciters recovered

A quick sound evaluation?........

Increase in sensitivity was very noticeable(as expected).
Sound was not ''thin'' or ''lightweight'' or lacking ''fullness''
Highs were plentiful and natural.

Midrange was revealing - especially in recording venue ''ambience''. This was astonishing. The ability to hear the recording venue/studio ''air'' was like nothing I have experienced - like being there (the reviewers were right on with this aspect. However, I am not siding with them in any way. These observations are my own - ONLY!).

Bass was more than adequate from what I heard.
Oddly enough, I did not hear the slight ''board'' like coloration noticed before. This could be due to the dampening effect of the mounted exciters.

Then a few of the exciters decided to detach themselves from the tape (quality tape )which indicates the great importance of using the correct tape for the purpose, and I retired from listening feeling happy that the results were surprisingly impressive for such a quick slap together of parts.

It looks good fellow D.I.Y.ers!...............
Old 3rd February 2009, 06:02 AM   #106
APi is offline APi  Finland
diyAudio Member

I tried closed cell polypropylene foam (3mm thick) instead of polystyrene.

It has some advantages like more strength: You just cannot break it easily and can even roll it.

Anyone else tried this material?
Old 3rd February 2009, 09:18 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

oh... great done man! i feel i'm buying some more exciters then...

did you come to any relation beetween panel size and number of exciters? when you talk bass: what region of the LF? 70-50hz (any test tone done?)
Old 4th February 2009, 05:33 AM   #108
Account Disabled

human.bin, I had no partiicular reason for chosing 6 exciters per panel other than following what PODIUM LOUDSPEAKERS were doing with their largest panel, the model1, where they use 5 exciters.
As my panel is larger, I decided to use 6 and position them vertically also.

There is a simple relationship with the size of the panel and bass :

THE BIGGER THE PANEL = MORE BASS............but, you need a few exciters at least to get this bass happening.

I have a way of measuring the bass, but's it is not very accurate. I would say that the bass does 50hz easy Some of my friends have used a quote : '' if the bass went any lower it would be a coal miner'' . I wouldn't go that far. The bass is very impressive considering it's an NXT based system(sort of).

I'll try to take some measurements and post a photo of the temporary set up.
Old 4th February 2009, 05:38 AM   #109
Account Disabled

APi the only problem I can see with using such a material is that it is NOT ''RIGID'' which is very important in the final sound reproduction. If the material you have can be rolled, it's probably near on useless(sorry ).
Old 4th February 2009, 05:44 AM   #110
Account Disabled

UPDATE : will shortly post a quick mini review on my listening experiences regards to MUSIC played through the panels as they are at present - rough, but working.

Further listening tonight will concentrate on JAZZ, CLASSICAL, VOICES/CHORAL, SOLO PIANO. Sorry, no POOP........oops, sorry, I mean POP or ROCK.........this is not the panel's forte

Will report soon

Hide this!Advertise here!