ESl speakers - why no cabinet? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2008, 11:08 PM   #11
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

One interesting "unbox" variation for the ESL is Infinite Baffle.

That would mean mounting the ESL into a wall. While not quite a box, it is still "a box".

_-_-bear
Old 4th October 2008, 03:57 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

bear,

an "infinite" baffle is an idea, but mounting into a wall is no good, the sound will be trapped in between the walls this will give the sound a boomy appearance. The insulation may help. Very nice amps, i am looking for two stereo amps. One to drive esl panels and one to drive the woofers. Any ideas, thinking 300wpc
bryan
Old 4th October 2008, 10:52 AM   #13
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

while in theory the rough calculation I did before suggests the need of a >200W amp for the panel, You will in praxis need much less wattage.
Itīs of more importance that the amp remains unconditionally stable under this complex load situation.
Class-D amps will be a good choice, though they often tend to a very analytical partly even a bit īcoldī sound.

jauu
Calvin
Old 4th October 2008, 05:34 PM   #14
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bshaw147
bear,

an "infinite" baffle is an idea, but mounting into a wall is no good, the sound will be trapped in between the walls this will give the sound a boomy appearance. The insulation may help. Very nice amps, i am looking for two stereo amps. One to drive esl panels and one to drive the woofers. Any ideas, thinking 300wpc
bryan

You are making an assumption that is not necessarily going to be correct.

If you open the speaker to the other side, no wall will be present.

Also, the "boomy" sonics you predict is a function of "Q" at the lower resonant frequency of the diaphragm... that may or may not be made higher depending on the specifics of the "wall cavity" that you mount the ESL in to. Also, the size of the baffle will be made very large, which will improve the LF response of the ESL substantially - a variation in Q that is undesireable might be correctable via an electronic means, if so required. But, assuming that you are making your own ESLs you can control that to some extent in the construction, for the particular application.

In terms of higher frequency effects, mounting in a standard "wall" cavity has its issues, and absorption of reflections would be very important - but assuming you have the option of modifying a wall in your home, then nothing prevents you from building out a wall intended specifically for this purpose and made appropriately for this purpose (enclosing a much larger volume) at some distance from an existing wall (like as much as 3 feet? ).

_-_-bear
Old 4th October 2008, 06:30 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

bear,
I thought you were cutting out from the existing wall, yes it would help the LF response since the back and front don't mix. Thank you to Calvin for help clarifying amps and the rated wires to use.

Calvin,
One of my colleagues at school can coat thin films professional. I told him the objective is to get the charge to stick to the film and not move around in operation. We may try a SiO coating. What success have you had with coatings? Sorry for thread-jacking
Thanks
bryan
Old 5th October 2008, 09:20 AM   #16
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

it seems that nearly all plasma-coated or sputtered membranes do have their problems with longtime stability in this special application. I prefer conductive polymere laqueres or the magic glue formula which are easy to be applied where it needs to be, can be controlled in conductivity, work stable over years and are optically transparent.
Too, it might be a problem to find a coater capable of sputtering thinner than 12ĩm-films.

jauu
Calvin

Hide this!Advertise here!