DIY Magnepan SMGa repair - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th August 2013, 10:45 AM   #21
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

I take my hat off to you, Ed - very well done. I rewired one of the mid panels on my IIIas about 6 years ago and that effort turned me off ever wanting to do it again!!

Regards,

Andy
Old 10th August 2013, 10:29 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Not so bad this time - just a repair to one panel. Previously, I had to completely strip both speakers and figure out how to recreate the wire layout. In the end, working by hand rather than building some elaborate jig turned out to be the answer.

I did do one thing differently this time - I bought a kit for soldering aluminium, containing the appropriate solder wire & flux, rather than used the cored stuff as supplied in the Magnepan repair kit (didn't have enough left over anyway). This made it far easier to make clean, bright joints at the tag strip, which was a headache last time.

I Just finished up the last overcoating of adhesive, and made another quick test with a signal from my portable radio's headphone socket. Not HiFi, or even loud, but good enough to hear clear sound from both speaker sections .

Just the reassembly left - and I won't bother stapling up the fabric, as I have new covers on order.

Cheers

Ed
Old 10th August 2013, 11:25 PM   #23
ktuuri is offline ktuuri  Canada
diyAudio Member

Glad to see you got them up and running again.
I have called down to Magnepan office a few times, great people to deal with.
Old 16th August 2013, 07:51 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

All playing nicely now back in the system

I think I'd had this problem on and off, without realising it. At one point I doubted my ears, thinking high frequency loss, age, decrepitation... Now I'm happy that the proper "sparkle" is restored.

The new socks arrived from Magnepn this week - I'll have to find time to replace them soon.

Also I fixed the nasty "scratchy" potentiometer in my pre-amp. It can't have been helping the signal, and those sorts of transients aren't kind to anything...
Old 16th August 2013, 08:18 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Ed,

What did the tweeter repair kit from Magnepan cost you? I need to break down and do my MG-I's.
Old 17th August 2013, 01:45 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Marc, sorry but I can't remember - the kit I bought was for my original complete rebuild, abut 5 years ago. This contained the 2 required gauges of wire, solder, encapsulant for the solder lugs and the overcoating adhesive to be used once the wires are tacked to the diaphragm using 3M "Super77" adhesive. There was more than enough tweeter wire to allow for my recent repair.

For info, I'd just call Magnepan directly, there's a number on their web-page here: Contact Magnepan today!

A real person will take your call, and will know all the details about any speaker the company ever made, and repair kits etc. I can't speak highly enough of their customer service.

Best of luck - and let us know how you get on,

Ed
Old 17th August 2013, 03:32 PM   #27
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Last i saw the Kit from magnepan was $50. US................but the tweeter wire....is only $7.50. a roll.... thats how i buy it, an the foil for the 1.6......7s the same price if you just get the wire are foil by the roll...........i can get my on glue.....
The best way i saw was john65b way.......... for doing the just tweeter wire.....was just put glue on you fingers an put it on just the wire....less is more on the tweeters he said it work great.........An thay have sorder -less setup for the wire.........ck with magnepan about that are you well have to get Alm sorder an flx...........from Magnepan
have fun

Last edited by tyu; 17th August 2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 17th September 2013, 09:11 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Hi everybody.

I own a pair of smga. Unfortunately the tweeter wires were not working, since they were corroded.

I stripped them of and I am searching for the appropriate 34 ga or 0.16mm aluminum wire. Unfortunately it seems very difficult to find the original wire in Europe and magnepan does not have an email to contact them (maybe I can try the phone). So I would like if anybody has any suggestions about where I can find such a wire in Europe.

P.S.

1) It seems that some people have tried aluminum foil. Does anybody know the what are the appropriate sizes for the aluminun foil tape?

2) Has anybody tried copper wire? Some people suggest the use of 36 ga or 0.13 mm for copper to get 3.7 Ohms resistance (and more weight also which is not good for the tweeter)

3) I prefer the mylar clean from this green sticky old adhesive Miloxane. I have some DAP to use with the new wire for a cleaner and more effective result.

4) In the future I plan to change also the bass/mid 22 ga wire. Has anybody tried copper with the same resistance? Will the added weight of the copper instead of the lighter aluminum drive the speakers lower than the 50Hz?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maggies1TweeterRemoved.jpg (290.8 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg maggies2.jpg (265.8 KB, 157 views)
Old 17th September 2013, 09:58 PM   #29
WrineX is offline WrineX  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

call magnepan for the wire, i tried sourcing alumnium wire for ages , and still nothing found. dont use dap just follow the procedure of magnepan if you want to be able to fix them again when somethign fails. copper is not an option to heavy. and foil is some debate about, it might drop efficiency by 3dB. your best bet is clean with aceton, order a repiar kit, or order the wire, get 3M super 77 and the 3m scotchweld 30NF, first use some of the super77 spray wait few minues laydown ur wire and then a verry thin layer of the 30nf. and ur done. in the kit is aluminium solder as well might come in handy to
Old 17th September 2013, 11:13 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrineX View Post
call magnepan for the wire, i tried sourcing alumnium wire for ages , and still nothing found. dont use dap just follow the procedure of magnepan if you want to be able to fix them again when somethign fails. copper is not an option to heavy. and foil is some debate about, it might drop efficiency by 3dB. your best bet is clean with aceton, order a repiar kit, or order the wire, get 3M super 77 and the 3m scotchweld 30NF, first use some of the super77 spray wait few minues laydown ur wire and then a verry thin layer of the 30nf. and ur done. in the kit is aluminium solder as well might come in handy to
I agree. I thought I was a wiz at finding things on the internet but the aluminum magnet wire eluded me. Oh, I could find it, but I'd have to buy 5,000 feet of it. Magnepan wants $50 for their kit: enough to do both speakers, etc. Not too bad. lol

I've heard mention of jigs to lay the wires out before you glue them down. Can someone point me in the direction of a thread or post?

thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!